Leica Showcase Leica 50mm f/1 Noctilux

usayit

Veteran
I totally enjoy this lens so I am going to start a sample image archive. Its definitely NOT the lens for everyone. Slow focus throw, big, heavy, not particularly sharp, a bit of CA, doesn't focus closely, can be difficult to use.... but it renders uniquely. It begs to be shot wide open.

Shot on Epson R-D1. The Noctilux actually worked VERY well on the Epson R-D1 due to the 1:1 viewfinder.

6266417635_a45cdfa2b4_b.jpg

Great examples, an amazing lens. I kick myself for passing up a Noctilux on a user M3 for $1800 at a camera show, ~12 years ago. Hindsight! Prices have soared. I should convert a Canon 50/0.95 to M-Mount, picked up when they ran $200.

So this is a sample of what the Noctilux f/1 looks like mounted on a Sony A7R. This is minimally processed with WB, Contrast, and Saturation only. Loads of vignette.

15042197557_84c8af8502_b.jpg

I played with the 50/1 once... I would like one, eventually will fall into one... Will make due with the 50/1.1 Nokton until then.

The A7r shots- I suspect the steep angle of incidence with the lens used wide-open are causing more fall-off than it would on the M9 or M240, same issue with wide-angle lenses. There are a lot of fast SLR lenses out there that I bet would shine on it.Have you tried a Nikkor 55/1.2? It is a T1.25.

Back