Leica Showcase Leica 50mm f/2 Summar

Mr_Flibble

All-Pro
Name
Rick
Couldn't find a Summar thread. So here's a few from my last couple of rolls of Agfa Superpan 200, with a Y2 filter (A36)
The Summar is a clean example from 1938.

1654028cb732c91af14aeb14ba77109a.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

882dd687ba31bc1fb62f325f9dfe2df1.jpg

c2d6479e76a4551ec3d27dad212433f2.jpg

Summars are a little warmer then the Summitar overall. Nice for portraits. Same soft front glass. Hard to find without cleaning marks or scratches.

I have another one from 1936 that's pretty banged up. Sharpness does suffer a little bit
UweIIIc-05.jpg

It looks good to me! Summars and F2 pre-war Sonnars seem to have soft front elements. The F1.5 Sonnar front element can usually be found intact.

I sold this Summar off, it is from 1933 and was very clean.

Last edited:
Agfa Superpan 200 in a Leica I,
Summar with Yellow filter

Flanders Field America Cemetery, Waregem Belgium
FF131106.jpg

Bayernwald Trench, Wijtschaete Belgium
FF131112.jpg

These are great from the Summar. I'm glad I don't have a hankering for one. I did buy a Fotodiox M mount to Nikon 1 adapter (I just can't get in the swing for a digital M) and shot some with the J3, MS Sonnetar 1.1, and the Canon 135 3.5. HOpe to post photos just to show some differences....not my creativity or expertise. In the meantime please continue with the Summars. Oops, I forgot I have a J8 and Elmar 50....also to go on the Nikon.

Done a photo book once, back in 2006, but never really got rond to doing a proper one.
Been looking at Blurb to set up a print-on-demand one with photos from the The Final Trust trip last year.
It's mainly the time I need to invest that's putting me off.

Same with the videos I shot and edited of prior trips. It's a lot of work with little pay-off. :(

M1706030.jpg

I guess those are the kind of time-consuming projects for when the Kids are all grown and retirement has kicked in.
I can actually retire next month.

Great pictures MR Flibble.....I have probably 10 rolls of new Eastman XX exposed that I have not had developed.

Regarding retirement......my accountant told me I could retire 7 years after I die.

Anyway, had I stayed in my State medical job all this time I would be able to retire now on 100% of my highest salary and all benefits. Oh well. Newbies don't get that deal, these days.

I sent my 1938 Summar to Christopher at Skyllaney Opto-Mechanics in the UK for a CLA and general tune up. Very impressed by the service rendered and their communication. Highly recommended. I like the laminated Calibration Certificate, a nice touch that accompanies the lens on return.
Attached, a few shots made on my M9M and M10 with Visoflex since I received it back in Sydney.
L1020067.jpg
L1020055.jpg
M1001628.jpg
M1001637.jpg
M1001622.jpg
L1020059.jpg
Certificate of CLA Summar f2:5cm copy.jpg

Back