Leica Showcase Leica 5cm F1.5 Summarit-M

@Brain I have the former, f-stops on the barrel, arrow on the aperture ring. I've shimmed one of the lens elements enough to have the numbers and arrows align correctly, however I'm yet to ascertain how that effects focus.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkView attachment 4656

I have two Summarits- both front-focused at F1.5 when used close-in, focus was perfect at F2.8. Did you move the entire optics barrel farther from the image plane, or just move out the front section?

Moving all of the elements out will increase front-focus; I suspect moving just the front section out (increase distance between front/rear groups) will have little effect.

@Brian I moved the front elements forward. It was the only way I could figure how to align the f-stop numbers with the arrow on the aperture ring since the front elements screw into the rest of the barrel. I used paper shims which I'd like to replace with metal shims one day, but for now the arrow and numbers align, and my negatives seems to be in focus although I haven't made prints nor had them scanned for inspection.
Other than that, the lens is good even with quite a scratched coating on the front element. It can also move the focus ring past it's closest focus mark although it gets a bit tight then.
Having shot with it for a bit now, I do seem to wonder about using this tool (rangefinder) with rather a 35mm over a 50mm lens. Alas, I'd have to make an investment in both lens and camera (either other M or goggles) so I just keep shooting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back