Leica and Panasonic formed a new alliance called L² Technology (Leica x Lumix)

I heard about that. Leica and Panasonic have partnered on projects for years and the press release doesn't provide any clear indication of how this is any different, nor what products are in plans.
Smoke but no fire. Yet.

I always wanted a Panasonic DMC-LC1 (like the Leica Digilux 2), never could afford either for a second camera at the time. It would interesting to see if Panasonic and Leica offer a Pany version of a modern Leica camera, but I doubt it'll happen.

I always wanted a Panasonic DMC-LC1 (like the Leica Digilux 2), never could afford either for a second camera at the time. It would interesting to see if Panasonic and Leica offer a Pany version of a modern Leica camera, but I doubt it'll happen.
The Digilux 2 is still a very expensive 5 mega pickle camera. Very nice images from it though. The Panasonic LC1 is regularly sold on eBay as the “LC1 Leica Digilux” though not as expensive.

The Digilux 2 is still a very expensive 5 mega pickle camera. Very nice images from it though. The Panasonic LC1 is regularly sold on eBay as the “LC1 Leica Digilux” though not as expensive.

I've thought about it a couple of times. I'm just not sure about spending money on a digital camera that's about 19 years since intro.

Wonder if they Re combining their R&D to save costs and help with inovation?

In todays shrinking market combining neich players may be a way of keeping in business

Wish Panasonic would do more with Olympus - OMD

Makes sense that a thin sensor stack would benefit legacy film SLR lenses too. Maybe I'd better hold on to some old beauties.
Now, I am not expecting a Panasonic camera body that would offer a Leica SL level, let alone an M level of support. I'm not even sure the mount spec can even allow for leeway in that area.

The one thing I am pondering about this, is about the (slight) possibility of getting Leica bodies in M43...

Not that I am following the brand closely, but if I am not much mistaken, they are without any gateway (aps-c) cameraes at the moment after the fresh axing the CL line.

Would love an M4/3 camera with Leica software but that's just too wild to ever happen.

To quadruple on wild fantasies, make it a Fuji X100 sized body with an optical viewfinder. A strong Pen-F alternative in the same size class.

Forgive me the ignorance, but is a Leica SL camera's sensor stack optimally configured for M-mount lenses?
People tend to comment that the SL line of cameras are the second best option for adapting M lenses. But in practice, is an SL2 any better than Panasonic's own S1R? I think Sean Reid has investigated this but I can't remember what the results were.

I do remember that there's one or two rare designs that work better against SL than M.

And Kolari thin filter modified cameras all are probably fine? It would be a cheaper way to get into great results, other than older Leica products such as M240 or SL typ 601.

People tend to comment that the SL line of cameras are the second best option for adapting M lenses. But in practice, is an SL2 any better than Panasonic's own S1R? I think Sean Reid has investigated this but I can't remember what the results were.

I do remember that there's one or two rare designs that work better against SL than M.

And Kolari thin filter modified cameras all are probably fine? It would be a cheaper way to get into great results, other than older Leica products such as M240 or SL typ 601.
I read a comparison years ago between a Kolari modified Sony A7x and a Leica Mx. The improvement by the A7x's Kolari modification was substantial but the Leica Mx was still superior. Moreover, the Kolari mod degraded sharpness of native E-mount lenses, which is to be expected.

Back