Leica Leica announced 16 new cameras and lenses in one single day!

serhan

Hall of Famer
Leica announces plenty of new cameras and lenses!

Well, you didn't expect to see this one day. Leica announced 16 new cameras and lenses in one single day! That's more than Canon-Nikon-Sony announced together!

Leica M-A, film camera & summarit lenses
Bildschirmfoto_2014-09-16_um_10.04.56.png

Leica D-Lux
Bildschirmfoto_2014-09-16_um_10.10.25.png

Leica X (113)
Bildschirmfoto_2014-09-16_um_10.07.16.png

Leica X-E
Bildschirmfoto_2014-09-16_um_10.08.52.png

& lenses

Bildschirmfoto_2014-09-16_um_10.07.23.png

Also Zeiss Distagon T* 35mm F1.4 ZM lens
zeiss-distagon-t-14-35-zm.jpe

wow! that's interesting.
What really baffles me is that they release a camera called X-E, which is basically a renamed X2 (24/2.8), but also a camera called X, with a 23/1.7 lens (both APSC). Why not differentiate a bit more in terms of focal length? Sure, there's a ~1.5 stop difference, as well as a 1mm focal length difference :)dash2:) but is it really worthwile to build 2 new cameras that are so close?

Is the D-LUX the rebadged Panasonic m43rds camera that was announced yesterday?

Ironic if it is because Leica has always been very snobby about m43rds which I think has been a mistake.

LouisB

Is the D-LUX the rebadged Panasonic m43rds camera that was announced yesterday?

Ironic if it is because Leica has always been very snobby about m43rds which I think has been a mistake.

LouisB

It's the new Pana alright. I'd be more interested in this as an alternative carry to the Leica T, if the larger T had a built-in EVF and the DLux did not, but since they're backwards (based on a peculiar demographic), I guess not.

IMHO/2 cents/2 pence....
You have to take sensor firmware into account with Leica.

A perfect example is how Pentax & Nikon firmware handle Sony sensors in comparison to Sony's own firmware :)

^true, but with those cameras, the entire (physical) pipeline from the sensor to the processor is also different, not just the software. On the PanaLeicas, as far as I'm aware, the only differences are in the jpeg engine.

wow! that's interesting.
What really baffles me is that they release a camera called X-E, which is basically a renamed X2 (24/2.8), but also a camera called X, with a 23/1.7 lens (both APSC). Why not differentiate a bit more in terms of focal length? Sure, there's a ~1.5 stop difference, as well as a 1mm focal length difference :)dash2:) but is it really worthwile to build 2 new cameras that are so close?

I'm guessing that Leica still consider the X1/2 a viable product. The X2 (henceforth the X-E) is a pocket sized camera, whereas the X is based on the larger X Vario body. It's more of a dedicated neck/shoulder camera than pocket cam. Another guess is that the 23/1.7 lens of the X is too big for the body of the X-E.

I'd be far more inclined to buy the X than the X-E or the X Vario. I tried the X1 for a day and it didn't float my boat at all, and while the X Vario feels and handles so much better, the slow lens bugs me a lot. Not that I need another camera, goodness no. But I definitely see the appeal of the X.

well THIS is the Leica I'd like to have. The M Edition 60: Leica Celebrates 60 Years of the M-Series with LCD-Less Rangefinder

They REPLACED THE LCD SCREEN WITH AN ISO DIAL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately I'm not their target customer. Or they have SERIOUSLY misjudged my camera budget for the year. I might just buy a lottery ticket tomorrow. I LOVE the idea of not being able to review an image on the camera (but am totally done with film).

If I do end up with my hands on the new X 113, I'll be actively comparing it not only with the Fuji X100 and M9 + 35/1.4 Nokton, but also with the Panasonic GM1 with the Oly 17/1.8 and 25/1.8.

Why the GM1?

Well, because I can. :cool: But really, because the X 113 automatically stops down the aperture from f1.7 to f2.8 as the subject distance gets close to minimum. Leica state this is to preserve the best image quality, but that tells me that the lens has some aberrations or glow when wide open and up close. The Fuji X100 has the unfortunate trait of being soft and glowy when shooting minimum distance wide open, and it seems that the X 113 may have the same issues.

If it forces f2.8 at the minimum distance of 20cm, the depth of field might actually be more like the Oly 17/1.8 at that distance. At longer distances, the f1.7 lens will definitely produce more subject separation than the Oly, but up close? We shall see!

Back