Film Leica CL

No, this is not a poor man's M camera but a superb rangefinder in it's own right. With it's 40mm Summicron optics it has a very useable focal length, and is a good staging point until an M body can be purchased. I had one in the 80's and thoroughly enjoyed using it, in fact I did consider adding one a couple of years back as a back up pocketable camera
dsc_4024.jpg

I own one of those and really like using it - it's built like a tank, and the optical performance of the 40mm (and 90mm) lens is really quite impressive. The only downside is the battery situation. It can be adapted and/or modernised, though. The meter's the only part you need a battery for, though - but it's worth getting the hang of ...

As you said, a great entry point into the M system - a bit peculiar, a bit clunkier than M Leicas or some other M mount rangefinders (Hexar RF, Zeiss Ikon ZM, some older ones ...), but it's small, sturdy and if it works, it works very well. If you contemplate getting one, just make sure you check the shutter - it can deteriorate if the camera's left lying around unused for a long time.

M.

ZYFRONT-LG.jpg
I guess I am alright with what I have really Matt. I have just bought a Sony a7R ll and a Zeiss Sonnar 35mm f2.8 which is wonderful and gives me the best of both worlds along with my M6, and Rollei 3.5f. The Leica M optics work superbly with this new Sony, with an adaptor, a Novaflex

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I wasn't actually speaking on your behalf - just adding to what you had said. Of course, owning a M6 does away with any(!) need for or appeal of a CL :)

That said, even though I now have a ZM, the CL stays - because it's fully mechanical and very sturdily build.

Nice digital setup there, btw. - though you've put up an image of the 7R (not the Mk II ;)). The 7 series is very intriguing, especially for people owning RF/35mm glass. I've resisted so far - but that may change in the future; the A7II almost made it into my bag.

M.

Back