Compact Leica D-Lux 4

4 from Mirazozo today, its really odd.

4816153544_3dcc54619b_b.jpg

4816154408_83450d2eb9_b.jpg

4815529343_ed258cab9b_b.jpg

Last one GH1 with 7-14

4815526581_59dcb02a47_b.jpg

I have a question on the Leica D-Lux vs the Panasonic version. From what I've seen generally speaking Panasonic cameras have a different hue to their photos - straight out of the camera. I've noticed that if someone doesn't know how to deal with this that their photos tend to have a yellowish orange hue. I realize that many do know what they're doing and have no problem with this issue, but my question regarding these two cameras - do you find that the Leica version tends to be more accurate color wise? From what I have seen of the Leica X1 RAW shots, they do seem pretty good color wise and don't appear to need much to make them look even better.

How is the Leica D-Lux out of the camera and how has it compared to its Panasonic counterpart out of the camera in both jpeg and RAW in the sense of color?

Yeah, I'm mostly happy withthe JPG output of my DMC-LX3. The film modes are handy... particularly the Standard B&W and Dynamix B&W. I too have messed with RAW images a bit... probably need to do more...

I have a question on the Leica D-Lux vs the Panasonic version. From what I've seen generally speaking Panasonic cameras have a different hue to their photos - straight out of the camera. I've noticed that if someone doesn't know how to deal with this that their photos tend to have a yellowish orange hue. I realize that many do know what they're doing and have no problem with this issue, but my question regarding these two cameras - do you find that the Leica version tends to be more accurate color wise? From what I have seen of the Leica X1 RAW shots, they do seem pretty good color wise and don't appear to need much to make them look even better.

How is the Leica D-Lux out of the camera and how has it compared to its Panasonic counterpart out of the camera in both jpeg and RAW in the sense of color?

Hi, I never shoot just JPEG on the Panasonic, the detail and colour are off. I always shoot RAW and post process in Capture One, this is typically just levels, highlights, white balance and sharpness. I then convert to JPEG before storing in Aperture. I found the RAW converter makes a massive difference and the colour from Capture One is spot on whereas with Aperture and Lightroom 2&3 it is off. The lens also makes a bit difference to the colour, the 7-14 is excellent whereas FD lenses tend to lack a bit of vibrancy but look sharper.

You can manually adjust the AWB on a Panasonic to get rid of the yellow hue, however my preference with WB is to use a grey card on a bright cloudy day and auto store the setting, then on a sunny day you get a more authentic WB with the yellow hue from the sun, whereas otherwise AWB tries to correct this.

With the Leica I found the RAW files to dark and take a fair amount of PP to get them looking as good as the JPEG, I shoot both RAW and JPEG at the minute with the Leica but tend to delete most of the RAW files.

Both so different and so strong in their own distinct ways, Michael! The black and white is really, really nice, but there's something about your color version that keeps drawing me back in. I think the color and tones have a polaroid quality about them which is pretty darn cool. Great shot - in both versions!

According to B & H Photo, this camera is now discontinued: Leica D-LUX 4 Digital Camera (Black) 18352 - B&H Photo Video while on Amazon it says "temporarily out of stock" though it seems to be available via a few other places who don't say it's discontinued.

Leica has not officially discontinued the D-Lux 4, but Leica USA told us they're out and won't be getting any more so while it may not be "official" the results are the same -- we don't have them and won't be getting them.

Back