Leica Leica IIf rebuild

Mr_Flibble

All-Pro
Name
Rick
I picked up a Leica IIIf Red Dial with matching Elmar 50mm f/3.5 last month as a project camera. Mainly to see if I could fix it up myself. It wasn't expensive so I wouldn't be too much out of pocket if I totally screwed up the repair.
It looked like someone had been at it with a hammer after it had fallen face-first onto the concrete.

Before Picture
12112391_908824189165939_9185091084751463035_n.jpg

And there was plenty of stuff wrong with it; RF ring missing, RF eyelet cracked, dented top cover, rewind knob was sitting at a slight angle, plastic VF/RF cover at the back was disintegrating. RF patch was very dim. Something was rattling inside the lens. And that skin looked horrible. The shutter was operating unreliably and the slow speeds were not there at all.

I started with taking it apart to the shutter crate.
project.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Inside I found some broken and stripped screws around the shutter crate. Also the reason for the non-functional slow speeds became apparent: There was no slow speed gear train inside the camera!

project5.jpg

Checking the serial number I found the camera is actually a Leica IIf that's been upgraded to a IIIf, but someone's taken out the slow speed escapement.
No big deal, I thought, I'll just revert it back to a IIf.

So I picked up some replacement bits from Surplusshed, DAG Cameras and Aki-Asahi. And I found a spare take-up spool at the Dutch Photographica Fair......

project9.jpg

....And managed to make it look like a halfway decent camera again.
project11.jpg

Of course, after I had put it all back together I learned the IIf actually did have a simplified slow speed escapement for the 1/25th of a second setting. Without it the slowest speed would be 1/30th instead. Not a big deal, but I'd need to keep it in mind.

The first roll showed that the camera was working fine, but the lens clearly needed some more work:

Two small commemorations are held every year at the Distelberg Woods for the soldiers of the Black Watch who fell in battle on the 6th of November 1944, Another soldier of the 51st Highland Division who died in October 1944 and two children who died in February 1945.

1. The drop off of sharpness is clearly visible on the right of the image
HH151101.jpg

2. Grade school children reading poems at the monument for Ivor Calvert and the two boys who died nearby
HH151104.jpg

3. Honor Guard at the monument for the 7 Soldiers of The Black Watch who died during the attack on the bridge across the nearby canal
HH151108.jpg

4. The last post
HH151111.jpg

5. The mayor paying her respects
HH151112.jpg

6. Damaged negative, Nephew with Ipad
IIFtest01.jpg

I need to tweak the rangefinder a bit more on the camera. And I also still need the shutter base cover with the loading instructions (DAG has those I've noticed).

Currently the Elmar lens is getting a bit more attention.

12265548_917482124966812_250620813080771352_o.jpg

Unfortunately I couldn't get the inner lens tube out of the housing. I wanted to hammer the front lens ring back into shape. At least I can get at all the surfaces this way.

The project continues....

That look great!

Is that a set screw holding the retaining ring in for the Elmar front element? I've seen an F2.8 Elmar with a stripped retaining ring, if there is a trick- someone did not know it. Wartime Sonnars F1.5's have a hidden set screw for the front ring.

The little set screw you see next to the front lens element retaining ring is the one that sits under the opening in the side of the large ring with the name/aperture numbers, to hold that in place. But I can't unscrew that one because the tab of the aperture ring is in the way. And the tab won't come out because the inner lens tube is stuck.

The little set screw that's supposed to sit halfway up the lens tube to hold the inner tube in place was already gone when I got the camera.

Back