Leica Leica III vs Leica III C Slow Speeds?

jnswickard

Rookie
Name
Jack Swickard
I have a Leica III C, Leica III F and a Leica III. The III slow speeds seems noticeably weaker than the III C and III F. Is this inherent or a repair/ warn out parts issue?
:)Thanks,
Jack
All have been CLA'd

The IIIc has an improved shutter over the III. The crate was made from a single machined block of metal. I thought they also increased the fixed travel speed of the curtains too from 1/20th to 1/30th of a second. The war-time IIIcK has a full race ball bearing shutter. The post-war IIIc has a half-race ball-bearing shutter.

The IIIf is a half race camera too, until they returned to full race with the Red Dial IIIf if I recall correctly.

:)Thank you Mr. Flibble,
That may well answer my question. My IIIc is a Postwar 1946 and my IIIf a black dial. They sound very similar during operation. The III works well but just not as smooth in the lower shutter speeds. You are correct the III slow speeds are from 1/20 to 1 plus T. T does not work on my camera but z (B) works on the regular speed dial.

Are you sure the T-setting isn't working? It should open the shutter on pressing the shutter release and close when turning the slow speed dial away from T as I recall. I never actually use it on my LTM leicas (too much hassle attaching a cable release ;) .

the III slow speeds are from 1/20 to 1 plus T

Sorry I wasn't completely clear on what I meant with curtain travel speeds. The curtains always travel at the same speed across the film plane independent off the selected shutter speeds.
Leitz upped this speed between the III and the IIIb or IIIc. This probably makes the shutter on the younger models sounds a little snappier.

It is indeed related to why 1/20th is on the top dial of the Leica III, but on the slow speed dial of the IIIc/f.

That is fascinating Mr. Flibble!
I did read an old instruction manual on the III/IIIa (obtained from Butkus) and you are correct in how the T setting is supposed to work. However, mine has some issue there--this was noted by Youxin Ye after he CLA'd my Leica III in that he stated T was not working properly due to a worn part or some modification.
I do note that If I set the high speed dial on Z the slow speed dial on T that the camera shutter will open--but only returns if the high speed dial is turned slightly. I am not certain that the camera would appreciate the procedure. Probable best to just use Z and a locking cable release???
Thanks for the info this is truly fun!

Back