Leica Showcase Leica M Image Thread

i haven't been on here in awhile, and these are actually photos from a trip to lijiang last fall, but.....the M8 remains a fantastic little machine.

LiJiang_001.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

LiJiang_002.jpg

LiJiang_005.jpg

LiJiang_003.jpg

LiJiang_004.jpg

Nice shot.
Is it me, or do you still have Christmas lights up? :)

LOL! That was at a coffee bar in Los Angeles, wasting sometime between the wedding and the reception. The coffe bar was kind of an eccentric place. It had a disco ball on the ceiling. So I suppose it wasn't Christmas decorations per se!

Nice photos!! So sharp! To my eyes, in terms of pixel level sharpness, M8's are THE best I've ever seen. Beats the M8.2 and M9.

Interesting comment re sharpness. I've heard that same opinion elsewhere but don't have an M9 to really compare. Do you think it's lens related at all, or purely a sensor issue? I have a keen interest in this topic as I am currently weighing whether or not to take advantage of the very recent dip in used M9 prices.

Interesting comment re sharpness. I've heard that same opinion elsewhere but don't have an M9 to really compare. Do you think it's lens related at all, or purely a sensor issue? I have a keen interest in this topic as I am currently weighing whether or not to take advantage of the very recent dip in used M9 prices.

I am not sure. I had a M8 for about a week, before a M9 miraculously appeared in the market 2 years ago. And I thought the few photos I took with the M8 were sharper on a pixel peeping level than the M9, using the same lens. If I had to speculate, I do wonder if the addition of the IR filter had anything to do with it.

The M9 prices will dip even lower when the new Leica is announced in May 10. I've even seen one M9 sell for below $5000 (it sold in minutes though). So I expect that it'll go lower than the average price of about $5200-5600 soon enough.

A few photos of the 50 Summilux that arrived today. Nice 3D pop! Razor thin DOF though. Tough to nail focus every time.

Leica_50_Lux-Asph-4.jpg

f2 ... I think.

Leica_50_Lux-Asph-1.jpg

f1.4 or maybe it was f2

Leica_50_Lux-Asph-3.jpg

f1.4

Leica_50_Lux-Asph-2.jpg

Nice photos!! So sharp! To my eyes, in terms of pixel level sharpness, M8's are THE best I've ever seen. Beats the M8.2 and M9.

The M8 and M8.2 have the idenitcal sensor/filter combination. The M8 has a higher top shutter speed, 1/8000 vs 1/4000. So- wide-open, bright-light, the M8 can usually handle it. Higher shutter speed means less motion blur.

The M9 has a thicker IR absorbing filter in front of the sensor, and it does soften the image.

Armando, is the THE 50 summilux?

It looks amazing.

Thanks Kal. Not entirely convinced that it's a keeper though. To my eyes, the Nokton 50/1.5 is a tad bit sharper (when pixel peeping). THE Lux has more contrast and creamier bokeh. The Nokton is 10% of the price of the Lux. And a lens like your Sonnar has even creamier bokeh than the Lux, at 25% of the price. Sonnars are as hard to find as the Lux nowadays!

Leica M9 -534 shots
gH2 - 412 shots

Couple shots at reception tables are easier with AF. Did speeches and dancing with both. I also shot this ceremony with the GH2 due to being stuck in an awkward spot. After 20 years of DSLRs it's taking me a while to integrate the M into the wedding fully. But since I recalibrated my rangefinders I'm getting a lot more confidence with focus. Focus accuracy was very high with the Leica. Over 90%. My first wedding with the M was 20% M. I expect that I'll get to 80% M in the next couple of months.

The first two shots above were shot at f1.1. I even did some dancing shots at 1.1.

Gordon

That's awesome Gordon, I forgot to say they're great photos. I'll head over to your Flickr page to check out the rest after dinner. I've been asked to do a wedding as a favour later in the year. I'm thinking of going in with my M8.2 and a single prime. I'll have my Canon 7D as a backup but I'm thinking that I will take most of the photos with the Leica.

Back