Leica Showcase Leica M Monochrom

Sweet set Dave and I really like #1

Somebody has been traveling. Is it good to have the MM back?

I am sending my 35 Lux in before the warranty is up in a few days. The front part of the lens is just slightly loose. I am picking up a Zeiss 2.8 Biogon to hold me over. No sensor problems with my MM so far. Knock on wood....

L1033105_zpsycwi4cp9.jpg

L1033102_zps0qg0fzmy.jpg

L1033130_zpsmbfgr1su.jpg

Corkey69

Rookie
Real Name
John Neal
Here are a few from a recent wedding where I was invited to shoot the antics after the ceremony. Both bride and groom are bellringers and, well, you can see here....

The long range of the MM was really helpful in getting usable results in the rather stygian gloom and high contrast :)

med_U957I1430160422.SEQ.4.jpg

med_U957I1430160421.SEQ.2.jpg

med_U957I1430160421.SEQ.1.jpg

med_U957I1430160415.SEQ.3.jpg

Duane Pandorf

Top Veteran
I haven't been hanging around these parts much but thought I'd chime in on the new M as it pertains to my current situation. I've been reluctant to send my M-E in for repair and have actually gone to the trouble of requesting UPS shipping labels on two different occasions but haven't sent my camera in yet. This will be my second sensor replacement as I have a couple bad pixels/columns but have not let those bother me as its only apparent if you've underexposed and then try to pull details out of the shadow areas. I just haven't wanted to be without a camera for however long it will take Leica NJ to repair mine. From what I hear it could be a couple months this time around.

I know I may be offered an upgrade option to the M240 or MP and know that should make me happy. The only issue I have with my M-E is I like shooting musicians in a local club and would really like to have "cleaner" results at higher ISO. 3200 ISO would be sufficient for my needs as I find I'm shooting the M-E with my 75 Cron at f2.0 1/90 sec @ISO 1600 is pushing the limit. Of course I then post process these files to B&W. I think from all that I've seen the M240 would work for me, but, after explaining my options to my wife she flat out said you're not getting rid of the M-E as she really likes the photos I make with it.

She suggested maybe I buy a used M-9 or another M-E. Now my "imagination" began to get the best of me. I prefer the B&W musician photographs compared to them in color, why not buy a used M9M now and send my M-E in for repair?

Of course the new MM is announced and am I getting left in the dust per se by sticking with older technology? The M9M would solve my ISO issues shooting in low light indoors. My M-E once back from repairs would take care of the color work at base ISO - 640-800 ISO.

What to do?

l1037455bw-duanelpandorf.jpg

How did we ever survive by pushing Tri-X to just 1600? Sometimes I wonder about Digital.

ISO 5000 with the M Monochrom.

17358012392_bd2a0631d4_o.jpg
Skate and Fun Zone
by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

ISO 10000 with the M Monochrom.

17172357350_4b4267ce7d_o.jpg
Skate and Fun Zone
by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

On the name- as long as the M Monochrom name is stored in the DNG files as the camera type, I will continue to call it that. The M246 stores the 246 in the DNG file, I'll take another look at it with the HEX edirot so I get it exact.

"reading in between the lines" on the lead time for the KAF-18500 sensor at On Semi- I think they are revising it. The lead time is longer than normal, "could be" a rev level change coming.

Asia thanks and Duane I have no desire to upgrade from the original MM to the new one. I shoot at 1600 and 3200 all the time. If you can swing it and i've seen some good deals on ebay on the original MM and if you shoot a lot of B&W and need low light capabilities then the MM. Brian posted some sample of how clean the MM is at high ISO.

xdayv

Top Veteran
Real Name
Dave
Me, not too worried of the high iso capabilities of the (ol') MM, the noise signature I like and can live with 3200 and 5000. The M-E and (ol') MM is a solid combo. Of course if got the chance to get the new ones, why not. :blush:

asiafish

All-Pro
Real Name
Andrew
ISO 5000 on the old MM is noisy, but like many others have said, its a noise signature that I like. I usually shoot at either ISO 320 or 2500+, depends on whether I'm in a Pan F or a Tri-X mood.

Duane Pandorf

Top Veteran
Asia thanks and Duane I have no desire to upgrade from the original MM to the new one. I shoot at 1600 and 3200 all the time. If you can swing it and i've seen some good deals on ebay on the original MM and if you shoot a lot of B&W and need low light capabilities then the MM. Brian posted some sample of how clean the MM is at high ISO.

Thanks for the comments. I've been following all of you on the different forums and of have been observing your work with the MM am quite sure it would fill my requirements. I just have to figure out what to do.

I'm sure I'll get an offer from Leica to upgrade my M-E to the M240 for $3,500. But the lowest I've seen the MM on the used market is over $4k. Not ready to make the big decision yet but I have plenty of hotel time while I travel to contemplate.

usayit

Veteran
Just got the monochrom and getting the hang of it... feels so familiar (M9, M8) yet produces results so different. Not exactly the sports camera but hey.. its one time to try it out until I actually get some "me" time.

All shot with 90mm Summarit.

17003532364_4ace6281bb_b.jpg

17438334870_7c3d342b63_b.jpg

17625910855_fd6c62e112_b.jpg

usayit

Veteran
Add a 135/3.5 Nikkor or Canon to the lineup, with a 1.25x finder...

Thanks, I'll have to try one of those out. I used to have the Leica bug-eye 135mm Elmarit and couldn't really get a sharp image out of it. Could be that it needed calibration. It didn't pack very well, so I never really used it.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Top Bottom