Leica Leica M-P (not MP)

I was expecting this since they have been dumping their supply of M 240 the last couple of months. It definitely will look nice with the M9-P and the Mono.

It is an expensive digital camera. If the "new" M240 costs a small fortune new, will a used one now fall in value?

Yes, the current one is definitely lower in value as compare to the MSRP of $6950.00. There are quite a few out there that are like new (I think they are actually new) factory recertified one for around $5300-$5500. Leica has slowly been dumping their M 240 the last couple of months. A trend that I noticed with the M9-P when they were getting ready to launched the M 240 back then. They will dump them as Certified Used Leica.

It is an expensive digital camera. If the "new" M240 costs a small fortune new, will a used one now fall in value?

I like the Saphire glass of the Monochrome; but the Giotto glass was ~$22 and has protected my M8 and M9 for years without issue.

The bigger buffer- I never run out of buffer space on the M9 and M8; but it will certainly go far for those that shoot sequences.

That's the biggest RF adjustment cover screw that I've ever seen on a camera.

My M240 sometimes freezes and loses images completely when I shoot too many photos too quickly. Seems to be unrelated to the memory card speed, size, or brand. So a bigger buffer would be nice, but not worth the price difference to me.

So after trying to dump their inventory of the current M 240, they are now announcing a price increase? I guess they are hoping that people will snatch all the remainder M 240 at the current price?

One the new one, I just noticed that they are putting back the old frame selector and the Leica engraving on the top plate.

I wonder if Leica will offer a program for current M owners to send in their bodies to be upgraded to a M-P, similar to the M9 to M9P program. Don't know if that's feesible though since the internals of the M-P are different (i.e. frameline selector).

Most likely they will. They make good money doing the upgrade.

I wonder if Leica will offer a program for current M owners to send in their bodies to be upgraded to a M-P, similar to the M9 to M9P program. Don't know if that's feesible though since the internals of the M-P are different (i.e. frameline selector).

Having seen the M9 to M9P progression, I always figured this was coming. I feel good about saving myself a couple thousand bucks on the M-P price by being a late M240 adopter.

Well, it's actually a better deal than the M9 to M9P upgrade. In that case, the only differences were the Leica script on top (and deletion of the red dot) and the sapphire LCD glass. This time, you get that, plus the frame line selection lever, plus the additional RAM. $1,000 for the upgrades is steep, but not more than before.

I've hit the M9 buffer limit a few times while shooting musicians at a couple of our local nightclubs. I could use cleaner 1600 ISO too. I have received a quote for my M-E to trade in for the new M-P from a Leica dealer but am not ready to spend that much of a difference as this is still a hobby. Now, if I were getting some pay for my work the upgrade would look more enticing.

I've hit the M9 buffer limit a few times while shooting musicians at a couple of our local nightclubs. I could use cleaner 1600 ISO too. I have received a quote for my M-E to trade in for the new M-P from a Leica dealer but am not ready to spend that much of a difference as this is still a hobby. Now, if I were getting some pay for my work the upgrade would look more enticing.

Duane - If you don't mind me asking, how much is your dealer willing to give you for trade in for your M-E? I'm curious as I've thought of trading in my M-E in for an MM and it just so happens that my closest dealer just got in a used MM.

The M-E is in demand, should do well selling it yourself.

I've always been happy with ISO2500 shots from my mid-production M9. A few tricks: I experimented with SD cards and use slower speed 4x 8GByte Sandisk and PNY cards when shooting High-ISO. I believe this reduces system noise. Maybe we should start a High-ISO thread to compare shots.

High-ISO shots with the M9 and M8 here:

https://www.leicaplace.com/showthread.php?t=831

I use the M8 in Raw mode, then convert to DNG using M8RAW2DNG. The difference in ISO2500 equivalent shots is amazing. M9 used with ISO2500 setting, M8 used at ISO160 and 4-stop underexposure.

Duane - Thanks, that's around what I thought I could get if I went through a dealer. The difference is still large enough that it makes me hesitate and question whether I really want to trade.

Brian - I didn't realize that different SD cards could effect the high iso noise of the M9/M-E, I'd love to see a comparison since all of my memory cards are exactly the same. The high iso noise is the main reason I've thought about trading my M-E for a MM, but I don't know that I could be okay with my only digital M being only a B&W only body.

Back