Leica Leica M1 - what is its place in the Leica universe?

funkydog

Rookie
The M1 is an M2 without the rangefinder mechanism. There is also a MD which is an M2 without viewfinder and rangefinder. How did the M1 fit in the grand scheme of things? Was it a budget model for 35mm wide angle shooters to scale focus? Was it developed to torment photography majors at art schools? Did Leica have an overstock of body parts it somehow had to get rid of? I know that some M1s were adapted for shooting phone meters or something like that but what about the rest? What was Leica hoping to achieve with this model and what did people buy them for? Curious am I.

IIRC, I think the anticipated use was for the rangefinderless Ms was for scientific applications, such as with microscopes via adapters that had separate viewing optics.

Ed B.

IIRC, I think the anticipated use was for the rangefinderless Ms was for scientific applications, such as with microscopes via adapters that had separate viewing optics.

Ed B.

That's my understanding as well. I've seen them on eBay every now and then and the description usually indicates that it was used in conjunction with a microscope.

Sorry to reactivate an old thread.
I am getting used to my recently aquired M-1.
lack of RF isn't that big of deal once you get the hang of judging distance or with hyperfocus on wide lenses.
P1030026.JPG

Beautiful camera and lens- that is a very late Summarit.

As stated before, I think the M1 was a less expensive camera for technical applications. It came out after the M2. Also useful with a Viso-Flex. It certainly is useful for wide-angle lenses with large DOF. The M1 could be factory converted to an M2, I believe Youxin Ye and others will do this.

Back