Leica Showcase Leica M240

London-12.jpg
Just been having a bit of a play with the M240 while in London, today....

Not sure if I love or hate the freaky flare.View attachment 4220
London-2.jpg
London-8.jpg
London-13.jpg

Two exposures merged into one image, but why the weird gradient effect on the left side? 🧐

The soft shutter that I like to use, makes M occasionally do funny things. I guess the system is old school and the shutter is mechanically connected to the button... if I press and release it too quickly, M takes a misstep, stumblingly starts to close the view before my exposure is entirely finished. Often I get dark frames with half a shutter sound, not often get this!

2020-01-14-13-48-MP003165.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Two exposures merged because of camera malfunction?

Strange.

I know the CCD's used in the older cameras are made of two chips. I'm not sure about the M240 CMOS sensor. If the exposure is a result of a misfire- could be the "non-uniformity correction" is off?

Two exposures merged because of camera malfunction?

Strange.

I know the CCD's used in the older cameras are made of two chips. I'm not sure about the M240 CMOS sensor. If the exposure is a result of a misfire- could be the "non-uniformity correction" is off?
Oh no no :)

I merged two separate files just to show the eager shutter. Having a pic like that would have been exotic

Here's another example from today. I should probably reconsider my soft shutter button?

As an extra bit of interesting phenomenon, these shots are taken within the same second, the exposure (manual) same in both. I wonder what Leica is doing to the raw data 😵

2020-02-04-11-04-MP003962.jpg
2020-02-04-11-04-MP003961.jpg

Here's another example from today. I should probably reconsider my soft shutter button?

As an extra bit of interesting phenomenon, these shots are taken within the same second, the exposure (manual) same in both. I wonder what Leica is doing to the raw data 😵

View attachment 213764View attachment 213765
Without knowing much about the actual situation I'd guess this may be a shutter problem: the upper part of the second photo is heavily overexposed, looks like at least 3 stops, and the lower part didn't get (hardly) any exposure. Or there was something (your hand?) blocking the lower part, throwing off exposure; this is much more likely than a shutter problem, because the shutter would have to be insanely fast in the lower part given that you used 1/1000 s.

Without knowing much about the actual situation I'd guess this may be a shutter problem: the upper part of the second photo is heavily overexposed, looks like at least 3 stops, and the lower part didn't get (hardly) any exposure. Or there was something (your hand?) blocking the lower part, throwing off exposure; this is much more likely than a shutter problem, because the shutter would have to be insanely fast in the lower part given that you used 1/1000 s.

There were no changes in the scene during this second. Manual ISO, manual exposure, manual aperture.

I believe it's the way Leica wired the shutter trigger to the shutter mechanism. My soft release button can be very soft at times... if the electrical connection disconnects right after first triggering the shutter, it causes this. Anyway, that's my speculation on this issue.

I see your point about the fast shutter speed...

Maybe that kind of banding shouldn't occur with shutter speed of 1/1000 sec; what if my soft release of trigger caused the camera to malfunction and select a speed three stops slower? 1/125 second then. For example, if there's a capacitor in the circuitry and my too quick of a press wasn't enough for it to fully charge to designed numbers.

I'm not going to like it but as a first step I'm going to remove the soft release button and see how things are.

There were no changes in the scene during this second. Manual ISO, manual exposure, manual aperture.

I believe it's the way Leica wired the shutter trigger to the shutter mechanism. My soft release button can be very soft at times... if the electrical connection disconnects right after first triggering the shutter, it causes this. Anyway, that's my speculation on this issue.

I see your point about the fast shutter speed...

Maybe that kind of banding shouldn't occur with shutter speed of 1/1000 sec; what if my soft release of trigger caused the camera to malfunction and select a speed three stops slower? 1/125 second then. For example, if there's a capacitor in the circuitry and my too quick of a press wasn't enough for it to fully charge to designed numbers.

I'm not going to like it but as a first step I'm going to remove the soft release button and see how things are.
Still very weird. I think I'd set the camera on a tripod and take a lot of shots, hundreds, to see if and how often it happens. Edit: or maybe the second shutter curtain catches up with the first, leaving no gap, that would explain the no-exposure part. But I'm not a Leica expert by any means, maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in.

I would try to change some of the shutter options- I found it made a difference on the M Monochrom and M9 in some strange cases.
If you're talking about the Discrete/Soft shutter options, they were removed in M240.

I would personally like to have that "soft" one because I don't apparently like to use the aperture priority metering on my Leica.

I shot my dear M without the soft button very briefly today. Luckily my finger seems to agree that having the soft release isn't really necessary. M240's mechanism by itself is nice, reachable, and tactile, if a bit mushy-feeling.

Looks wise it's now missing the "red dot" and that little splash of red I'll dearly miss.

Most importantly, even though I would never do that on purpose, it could be that the shutter mechanism was under occasional stress because the soft release could have acted as a lever on an occasion.

Last edited:
Gotta love manual exposure.

I headed out with 35mm and 135mm, one on Leica and one on Nikon.

I switched to Nikon and Nikkor QC 135 for a while, ten, twenty minutes later when I switched back and took this shot without any adjustments other than focus.

2020-10-11 (Sun) 15-04-41.jpeg

My instinct was right, the light level didn't change from where I last switched. Didn't need adjustment on post either.

My technique with Leica M and metering is so clumsy but also rewarding and not much slower than automatic programs.

I have a semi-"proof" about M240's CMOS chip also doing things in two parts. The pic is alright but a certain darktable mask was able to show an interesting division in the middle of the horizontal frame, halving it in two.

Could be darktable algorithms making crap up but it was interesting. Sadly it's one of the files across 2000 recent ones. Might be hard to get back to it.

Ah. Now with plenty of gear unloaded and disposed (2300 €'s worth actually) I went ahead and walked a good 12.5-mile walk.

I've been neglecting my MP240 but my god what a beauty it is. The focus is trivial and satisfyingly accurate, the framing with a 50 is not a problem. The files out of camera are sensational and invite to shoot so much more.

"SOOC"

2021-09-10 (Fri) 12-48-46.jpeg

Back