Leica Leica M60 Special Edition

Duane Pandorf

Top Veteran
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the M60 Special Edition model introduced at Photokina this month. But I guess I shouldn't be surprised as to the price and of course they're only making 600 that are probably already taken by the collectors.

However, why I'd like to talk about this camera is not what it has that any other Leica doesn't but what it doesn't have and that's the LCD on the back of the camera. There's a poll going on over on another forum and asks if you'd buy a digital Leica without the LCD. Just curious as to what others here at the LeicaPlace feel about a Leica without a way to review your images before downloading to your computer.

http://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-M/Leica-M-Edition-60

I could live without the screen. The only real need I'd have for a screen is to check to be sure I had a reasonable exposure, and no obvious flaws in the capture, for example a fly flying in front of the lens. Burst shooting and/or bracketing would alleviate some of the worry, if worry were an issue. What would be really cool would be to hear some of the design discussion ahead of the final design, rather than the marketing statements as to "why". Either way, it looks very nice.

I would love to shoot with one of these for a week to see how it would work out. I think it's pretty cool how they reprogrammed the movie button where it's recessed and by touching it once you get the battery charge info in the viewfinder. Press it twice you get the number of pictures left on the card.

I like everything about the M-60 but the price. I hope leica makes a non limited edition version of the M-60, but I hope it would cost less than whatever digital M is currently out.

i would seriously want one if...

1. they have a run of more than 600 (would make it normal priced, hopefully similar to M-E)
2. make it as thin as an M6
3. monochrom!

i'm shooting more film than i'm able to develop lately... this camera should just be motivation to get back to developing! $20k and 600 pieces? they're absolutely nuts

i would seriously want one if...

i'm shooting more film than i'm able to develop lately... this camera should just be motivation to get back to developing! $20k and 600 pieces? they're absolutely nuts

Remember this is a special edition and the body is made with stainless steel. I'd bet all 600 have already been pre-sold to the collectors.

But it if a mass produced version was made I'd still want the color sensor. Just like a film camera you can load it with color or B&W film.

There are a few cameras out there today that don't have accurate battery metering. My Leicas seem to work pretty well in that regard, so I hope Leica keeps that up on all their new cameras.

I would like one; reminds me of when I shot mainly with the Epson R-D1 w/ all of the necessary controls available on the top plate without the need of the LCD screen; which I had hidden most of the time.

* I don't like that its collectible (Of course. I use not collect and I can't afford collectable prices)
* I'm not really interested in Stainless steal. Prefer painted black brass.
* I don't like that it doesn't have a threaded shutter button. I use cable releases.
* I don't like having to look through the viewfinder + button push to check battery and card status.

Remember when they released the M6J? Paying detailed homage to the M3 with the more modern internals of the M6. That would be my ideal type of M60 aesthetically. M3 look-a-like with the digital internals.

I kinda wished that Leica offered choices in viewfinder in their cameras like they did with film cameras. You get to choose magnification and framelines to match your shooting needs. I can see a full al-la-cart program, finish (grey hammertone, chome, black paint), choice of leather, engraving, magnification, framelines, and finally sensor (Monochrom, etc.).

The M60 is beautiful, but I lean toward the utilitarian. For my purposes, I'd rather have the black M-P 240 and a black 35 Summilux ASPH. Oh, and the leftover $6400 USD, too.

Back