Leica Leica M8 Infrared

deirdre

Top Veteran
As most people who've seriously considered an M8 know, it doesn't have enough oomph in the IR cut filter in front of the sensor. Thus, an additional IR cut filter's needed.

I accidentally forgot to put mine on the 15mm Voigtlander I was using (thank you LensRentals!), and took the following pic, realized the color was off, then re-took it with the filter in place.

This is pretty close, but it is a seriously tall plant: 15-20 feet, probably. Everything here (Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden) was enormous.

web.jpg

web.jpg

Morning Deidre,

(From what I have read - the following seem to be the comments)

The "colour shift" is mainly on greens
plus the magenta cast on certain blacks, e.g. some synthetic fabrics
The sensor, (Kodak) on the M8 could not be modified to correct the above and that is why a filter is required

Apparently eliminating the "IR image" also produces a sharper image - i.e. the use of the filter produces a sharper image, as well as protecting the (expensive) Leica glass. The filter is said to improve the sharpness of the image and not degrade it in any way.
The Leica, B + W and Hoya UV/IR cut filter glass is very hard, much harder than lens glass, and it is of good quality - it should be as these filters are expensive
There are filters ex HK at half the price - most are "made in Japan" and reports say that they are good and maybe from the same factory as Leica, Hoya and B + W filters - I need a couple so am researching the market

Cheers

I got B+W filters for two of my three lenses; skipped getting one on the third.

I noticed that the IR effect was most pronounced in shadow; there's some full daylight pics I have where you see a bit of red, but not nearly as much.

another example of the "green shift"

mega crops - taken at same time - different lens - so ignore quality - first is a J11 - (Russian 135mm) and second is Zeiss 28mm

no PP - straight from cam - DNG converted to jpegs

but they are posted to show the colour different

NO FILTER - J11

WITH UV/IR filter - 28mm Zeiss - mega crop

We used "Hot Mirror" filters in the 90s with the first generation Digital cameras. Look for them on Ebay, I was able to pick up 52mm and 48mm "Hot Mirror" filters for $10 each. They work quite well, and were top-quality filters made for the professional market. Some patience required, but can be a bargain.

Blacks are hard to predict. This case is all-black, but different material used in it. This is with my full-spectrum Nikon Coolpix 950. I removed the IR absorbing glass.

picture.php

I've worked with Digital Infrared Sensors since 1981. I had Kodak make an Infrared version of their DCS200 DSLR in 1994. The modification cost $4000, total of $12,400 for the body. 1.6MPixels.

picture.php

Thankyou for the compliment. I ordered an Infrared Modified Olympus EP2 for work, only a few hundred more for the modification.

The old Kodak DSLR still works, and is a true monochrome sensor. Wish they still made them like that.

Back