Leica Showcase Leica M8 / M8.2

They look good to me! I've kept my M8 for the "crisp" factor in it's images.

823-frozone-csonnar.jpg

Leica M8, C-Sonnar 50/1.5 at F4, IR cut filter.
I love these pictures........don't have a digital M. However, this would have been an ideal setting with mixed lighting to use Cinestill 800T, a film I am shooting more and more. Outside in daylight, not so good in my hands, but really good at night with lights or situations like this. Of course, you are probably adept at post processing with digital files to deal with white balance.

M8's are starting to show up for sale. I guess it goes in waves. Just about the same price now for a real good RD-1s.
I'm not sure that makes sense. I presume you use IR filters on all your lenses?

I do use IR filters, bought a number of them, some as low as $5. You can get them used as people move to newer cameras. I also use "Hot Mirror" filters, older name- same function. These came out in the 90s when Digital was new.

Speaking of IR, here's my first attempt from some time ago of the Manhattan Beach Pier, Los Angeles using a R72 filter on the 50mm f/2.8 Elmar-M.

15395129012_84774eb601_c.jpg

And a normal B&W recent shot of Union Station, Washington, DC with the 35mm f/2.5 Voigtlander Color Skopar, no filter:

25917726761_4f8a9f587d_c.jpg

I thought M8, with it's IR sensitive sensor, required filters to cut the IR spectrum, not to enhance it........

Use an IR cut filter (Hot mirror, IR cut) for best results with visible light, the M8's built-in IR absorbing filter has about a 5% leakage. Use a Visible blocking filter when you want the 5% leakage for IR photography.

Do you use the light blue colored low pass filters which work by absorption as opposed to interference? I assume they are screwed into the lens. I suppose nobody modifies their M 8's with a sensor mounted glass interference filter.

I use the IR reflecting filters, hence the "Hot Mirror" name. The light-blue IR absorbing filters will produce a color shift. The camera firmware corrects for the color shift caused by the IR absorbing glass over the sensor itself. Using an external filter will require manually correcting the color shift. The Hot Mirror type filter does not require color correction.

26029205805_4261fd1f7d_b.jpg
nikon_E3
by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

I've used these filters going back to the 90s.

First...what is a "nokin" camera?

Kolarivision...at their website declares that the clear filters at the sensor will alter the ray angles and shift color. they claim that the blue filters they sell, work by absorption , and do not affect color shift.

The IR absorbing filters used over the sensors are not clear, they have a blue-green tint to them. I've removed these filters from cameras to convert them to full-spectrum. IR reflecting filters can cause color-shift as well, but usually with (very) wide-angle lenses.

Wratten 88a Visible Blocking and IR reflecting filters.

15944258849_b8e24e5a0d_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
88a_and_hotmirror by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

M8 without IR reflecting (IR Cut, Hot Mirror):

15972369789_d3519eeb47_b.jpg
leaf_nofilter1

With the IR filter (Hot Mirror)

15538696023_56ba8f706a_b.jpg
leaf_filter

Full-Spectrum camera (No filter over sensor) looks through the Hot Mirror filter:

15936738317_c8f9b70655_o.jpg
Split_Leaves by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Same camera, looking through the Wratten 88a filter.

15500159734_7a0d5ef6ee_o.jpg
88afilter by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Leica M8 no Hot Mirror over lens:

15499927884_023ef891ed_o.jpg
M8_nocut by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Leica M8, With the IR cut filter (hot mirror)

15936508127_1f5aca29ba_o.jpg
M8_Cutoff by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

The Kolari filter is for Full-Spectrum cameras, such as my EP-2, to be used for visible-only photography. The Kolari filter has the blue tint of the IR absorbing filters that normally cover the sensor used in regular cameras. It would not be for use on the M8.

Back