Leica Showcase Leica M8 / M8.2

Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

(btw. The second shot is the one I talk about in this post ...)

M.

Sometimes, things can be a bit odd (or off - well, unpredictable, really). I still kind of like the result ...
(I was framing through the gap at pretty close range - paralax is impossible to correct at this distance by simply guessing ...)

M.

Same happened to me recently. Took few seconds, as rangefinder newbie, to understand what had happened. However, I didn’t like the result at all. Image deleted on camera :)

It has been stated that Kodak formulated the KAF-10500 CCD used in the M8 to give the same colors as Kodachrome. I've shot Kodachrome, Kodachrome II, Kodachrome-X, Kodachrome 25 and Kodachrome 64. The above shot looks like Kodachrome 25. Just had to narrow it down a bit.

It has been stated that Kodak formulated the KAF-10500 CCD used in the M8 to give the same colors as Kodachrome. I've shot Kodachrome, Kodachrome II, Kodachrome-X, Kodachrome 25 and Kodachrome 64. The above shot looks like Kodachrome 25. Just had to narrow it down a bit.
Thank you; I do appreciate the comparison - but it also tells me that with shots from this amazingly good old camera, I have to watch my sliders in post so as not to overdo things when it comes to contrast, vibrancy and saturation. If anything, the M8's files need a soft touch. I honestly didn't push things in this case, though - yet I may have added a slightly warmer tint than necessary.

M.

I have a new favourite lens for the M8 - the chameleon, I call it ... the Voigtländer 35mm f/1.4 Nokton Classic M.C. - with, and that's important, the Leica UV/IR filter screwed on for colour images. Wild wide open (rough bokeh, aberrrations of all kinds, but very interesting), neat and pretty sharp closed down, with medium contrast and very distinct transitions. Not that my usual mainstay (the Voigtländer 28mm f/2 Ultron) is a bad lens, but the tighter angle and more varied results of the Nokton are really worthwhile. This is one of the neater shots - oh, and at (only!) f/2.8, I can't detect *any* focus shift whatsoever; it may be a problem near the closest focusing distance (though I didn't detect a lot, if at all, at earlier tests at much closer range), but certainly not at medium distances and beyond. Very much worth it, especially together with the unique signature of the M8's sensor ...

L1002562.jpg

M.

I picked up another 1952 KMZ 5cm F1.5 J-3, this time in Contax/Kiev mount. I bought a 1964 ZOMZ that turned out to be in a LMZ LM mount, and the focus was way off.
So I switched them. This is ont of the best Jupiter-3s that I've ever seen, and I have seen hundreds.
Wide-Open on the M8, UV/IR Cut filter.

I use my M8 a lot. This is with a 3rd party battery that seems to work well with it, the M9, and M Monochrom. I'll do a write-up after they have some time to pan out.

Last edited:
Back