Leica Leica M8, Nikkor-SC 5cm F1.4 at Manassas Battlefield

Brian

Product of the Fifties
I took a pair of Nikkors on a Pair of Leicas out to the Manassas Battlefield Park this past weekend. The M Monochrom with a Leica Mount Nikkor 5cm f2, with red filter and the Leica M8 with S-Mount 5cm F1.4 on an Amedeo adapter.

The pictures with the M Monochrom and 5cm F2 Nikkor are here:

https://www.leicaplace.com/showthread.php?t=576

This F1.4 lens is a late black version, beautiful condition, given to me in return for some repair work. The Tab was broken off. I "cobbled" a transplant from a spare Contax mount left over from lens conversions, and dedicated it to the adapter. These are with the IR cut filter.

All pictures shot in 16-bit Raw, and converted using V1.2 of M8Raw2DNG. Lightroom 4.4 used to export to JPEG. Monochrome conversions using a simulated Orange filter in LR4.4. No adjustments for exposure or contrast made.

The Nikkor 5cm F1.4 is optimized for close-up and wide-open. Used wide-open and at distance, softer. I wanted to try to get the look of an old-time viewcamera, meaning soft-focus and limited DOF.

12868114163_cd211a0917_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Manassas Battlefield by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

The color original,

12868527824_3a64b21160_o.jpg

I'm having a hard time describing these colors, "Subtle", "Soft", like an old Cibachrome? I like it, fits the mood.

12868466544_7a5f140edc_o.jpg

The house in the background is a replica, the original destroyed by Cannon fire and was the site of the first Civilian casualty of the War, an elderly woman that would not be moved from her bed. The monument in front was erected in 1865, most likely the original Memorial Day Monument.

12868035525_252238318a_o.jpg

Color, I find the colors with 16-bit Raw to be "more subtle". Lots of room to increase contrast if you wanted to. I didn't.

12868098315_abc5be30c5_o.jpg

12868099025_5a4f7133c0_o.jpg

I'm planning to write an article, "The M8, 8 years later, better than ever". Discussions on other forums regarding Digital cameras being replaced by newer and better generations on an accelerated pace usually defended with the older camera will produce pictures as good as it ever did. In the case of the M8, the pictures produced with it now are better than they ever were. Between improvements in the V2 firmware from Leica, the M8RAW2DNG tool, and improvements in noise reduction from Lightroom and others- I'm getting better results with the M8 than I did when it was new. Something to think about when someone states that they want to try a digital Leica, and they are on a limited budget.

Those are great looking shots, Brian. I've been considering getting a used Leica M8 for a while. I think I need to bite the bullet and get a 24mm M-mount lens to have around for when a great deal presents itself on a body. I'd want to be able to check the RF accuracy of the body to the lens during any sort of return period ...

Back