Leica Leica M8 with CV 25/4

Raid

All-Pro
This is my second attempt at using the small (but wonderful) CV 25/4 on a digital Leica.
Yesterday, I was with the family at the beach during sunset.

U3565I1396310095.SEQ.0.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

U3565I1396309793.SEQ.0.jpg

U3565I1396310528.SEQ.0.jpg

Some people fish, others take pictures of people fishing... I'm also in the latter category!

Some people live by the beach. Some people know how to live. Some know how, and where, to live.

I like how the CV lens works with the M8.
Who is using such a lens here?

I was, I posted a whole sequence of shots using this combination over here:
Poole Quay Picture Thread - Page 1 - Porsche General - PistonHeads UK

Its sharp enough but vignettes quite a bit and I can only assume will vignette a lot on full frame and probably 35mm film as well, really its only the vignetting I see as a problem and hence the need for corner fix correction on the M8.

Don't use either much now as I have been shooting film again with an M6 and the incredible 28 Elmarit ASPH.

With the M8, the cropping helps bring down the vignetting. I don't the vignetting as a problem.
The chosen aperture also plays a role in what appears as some darkening in the corners.

Thanks for your link. Nice cars there! The old Porsche cars look like VW cars. Of course, they were related then.

Raid

I was, I posted a whole sequence of shots using this combination over here:
Poole Quay Picture Thread - Page 1 - Porsche General - PistonHeads UK

Its sharp enough but vignettes quite a bit and I can only assume will vignette a lot on full frame and probably 35mm film as well, really its only the vignetting I see as a problem and hence the need for corner fix correction on the M8.

Don't use either much now as I have been shooting film again with an M6 and the incredible 28 Elmarit ASPH.

I tried myself at fishing, but I failed in many ways. I don't like having a fish dangling at the hook, so this defies the purpose of fishing then.
I live close enough to the beach but not on the beach. This has some advantages, such as flooding, insurance premiums, possible delays driving back and forth to work if you have to drive across bridges around the beach.

I like how the CV lens works with the M8.
Who is using such a lens here?

Hello raid,

I use the CV25; not on an M8, but on an Epson R-D1. It does vignette. With the R-D1, the Epson Raw software has a simple yet elegant way of dealing with it. An option box asks for the focal length of the lens used. I select "25" and viola! most if not all of the corner darkening is gone. I then import the RAW processed image into PS for final editing, as here. I like the FL when used in conjunction with the 1.5x cropped sensor.

The following is a sample taken on a day with a very flat sky. It shows limited vignetting that not only do I not find objectionable, but in this sample I think actually adds interest to the image. I hope this is helpful.

Regards to all,

Ed B.

Attachments

• Roadside sunflowers.jpg
    Roadside sunflowers.jpg
    973 KB · Views: 121
Hi Ed,
The M9 has such a lens specification, and it does make a difference. The M8 lacks such an option. The 30% crop helps, though.

Back