Leica Showcase Leica M9/M9P

Starting a thread for fellow M9/M9-P folks.

Here's my first.

Washington Square Park - NYC

8617252130_ff75a80a37_h.jpg

Leica M9-P + 35mm Summilux @ f/1.7

Last edited by a moderator:
Great shot of the SR-71. My brother in law lives near that museum. We took the kids there last year.

I bought an early 1950's LTM collapsible Nippon Kogaku Nikkor 5cm f/2 on eBay which had disappointing image quality when I received it, to say the least.

Brian worked some voodoo on it, and I received the rejuvenated lens back to me today. I don't think there is anyone who knows more about these vintage lenses.

Thanks Brian, and here are some samples from a brief outing in Manhattan with the Nikkor and the Leica M9.

nikkor1.jpg

nikkor2.jpg

nikkor3.jpg

nikkor4.jpg

nikkor5.jpg

nikkor6.jpg

nikkor7.jpg

nikkor8.jpg

nikkor9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
PS: Brian advised me to use a hood due to some cleaning marks on the front element. I was anxious to try the lens, so just stuck it on the camera and went out.

This was my first shot, no hood, about f/8.

wtc.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The early Nikkors are incredible: the internal coatings withstood the test of time. I bought one over 10 years ago, popped the front section- cleaned a wax-paper like haze out of it, was perfect.

This one cleaned up very nicely. And I had a lot of fun taking this one, and the early (1934) 5cm F2 Rigid Sonnar apart as well.

I suspect that Zeiss offered both collapsible and rigid at the same time, and this was the easiest way to offer a rigid lens: a one piece tube that adapted the collapsible barrel to the rigid mount. The mount still uses shims for the standoff, so the tube just has to screw into place- but not be an exact length.

Spring has Sprung.

All with the Nikkor-Q 13.5cm F3.5, at F4. Late version of the lens.
L1019631.jpg
L1019636.jpg
L1019644.jpg
L1019678.jpg
L1019679.jpg

I did another set of pictures of a UV light to demonstrate a point on RFF.

For the Leica M9, M-E, and M Monochrom:
I have Good news and Bad news!

The Good News: the camera uses a scientific grade CCD and can be used for UV Photography.
The Bad News: If you want to shoot Visible Only, use a UV filter or Skylight filter for Color, and filter of your choice for the M monochrom. Unless you are using a Quartz Lens, you will need to filter out the UV for a sharper image and to get rid of "the purple haze" that many complain about.

L1027521.jpg
L1027523.jpg

Last edited:
Back