Leica Q has a coffee break.

D

dalethorn

Just a spontaneous shot in a coffee shop - worst-case backlighting - the 'Q' captured enough detail to salvage this one, in spite of cropping 20 percent off the left and half the height. Shot as JPEG only.

Leica 'Q', f1.7, 1/80 handheld, ISO 200.
City_Lights06_s.jpg

How do you like the Q?

I love it. Perfect compact camera. Well, there's no zoom - fixed 28 mm lens, so it's best for street, architecture, portraits, landscapes etc. For people who like the classic Leica body shape, like the M4/M6 and the digitals, they've blended that with small size and big sensor and made a great camera. Usually with any new camera I'll hit the disappointments eventually, but not with the Q. You can do almost as well with the smaller Nikon Coolpix A, but when you get onto the computer the difference pays off in post processing. I've had the idea ever since the X1 that Leica lagged behind in their canera software, but I don't get that with the Q.

I love it. Perfect compact camera. Well, there's no zoom - fixed 28 mm lens, so it's best for street, architecture, portraits, landscapes etc. For people who like the classic Leica body shape, like the M4/M6 and the digitals, they've blended that with small size and big sensor and made a great camera. Usually with any new camera I'll hit the disappointments eventually, but not with the Q. You can do almost as well with the smaller Nikon Coolpix A, but when you get onto the computer the difference pays off in post processing. I've had the idea ever since the X1 that Leica lagged behind in their canera software, but I don't get that with the Q.

Thanks! is it possible to use the 4-way controller to change the focus point?

Thanks! is it possible to use the 4-way controller to change the focus point?
As closely aligned as Leica is with Panasonic these days, one feature they ought to jump on is the ability to set the focus point on the touchscreen while looking through the EVF. The GX7 had that and it was one of the first really cool uses of a touchscreen I ever found for people who really like composing through a viewfinder rather than on the screen itself. But with your eye to the finder, you could just move your right thumb or a finger around on the screen and the focus point would move with it, so it was really easy to put it exactly where you wanted to. I'd love to see that sort of thing on the higher end mirrorless offerings that are starting to pop up, and Leica seems to be in the perfect position to grab it from it's partner in Panasonic...

-Ray

That would be a great option too. But the Q does not have a touchscreen, right?

It does have limited touch features, which you can use (for example) in playback to swipe left and right.

Trying the focus, in autofocus the 4-way controller allows you to move the focus point, but I don't see that in manual focus. I don't think I need it, unless I'm doing something in combination with focusing, since I just point to the focus target, focus with the enlarged screen (which is set on the menu), then move back to the correct framing, and shoot.

Back