Leica Showcase Leica Q (Typ 116)

mike3996

Legend
How come I didn't find a showcase thread for Leica Q? The more I shoot the Leica M, the more I regain respect towards my Leica Q. Not that I hate the M or find it lacking, I just realize how much there is to appreciate about the Q, the lens, the package.

06-09-14-34-L1060095.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I'll throw in some aesthetically questionable pictures because the lens and the color on the Q can be so close to perfection at times... And because I think pictures that show aesthetical merit should probably go to the Picture threads.

06-01-15-15-L1060031.jpg

This is a 100% crop, very casually shot but my, Q doesn't lack in resolution.

L1040072.jpg

Casual shot from early days with Q, wide open at 1.7. Absolutely, positively sharp stuff. Zero sharpening or contrast applied in PP, and those who know Darktable, know it doesn't apply much sharpening at all. After using Q

07-03-13-54-L1020461.jpg

How come I didn't find a showcase thread for Leica Q? The more I shoot the Leica M, the more I regain respect towards my Leica Q. Not that I hate the M or find it lacking, I just realize how much there is to appreciate about the Q, the lens, the package.

View attachment 193274

I'll throw in some aesthetically questionable pictures because the lens and the color on the Q can be so close to perfection at times... And because I think pictures that show aesthetical merit should probably go to the Picture threads.

View attachment 193275

This is a 100% crop, very casually shot but my, Q doesn't lack in resolution.

View attachment 193276

Casual shot from early days with Q, wide open at 1.7. Absolutely, positively sharp stuff. Zero sharpening or contrast applied in PP, and those who know Darktable, know it doesn't apply much sharpening at all. After using Q

View attachment 193273
Cuz we can’t afford them. :oops:

Not limited to the feats of the lens, the sensor and the image processing is also pretty damn good. The tonality appeals to my senses, the deeply saturated color is quite malleable. To be sure, the downside is that the skintones are not entirely what I'd say, great, out of the camera. I suppose the magic is to just locally reduce saturation and maybe apply some red hue correction in those cases I shoot people...

This is the level of rich color I get from Q. Darktable defaults, no tone curve or color manipulation. When I got back to shooting some Fuji X100T (I was comparing those two cameras at the time), Q's color profile is close to Fuji Provia but on steroids.

Bear in mind that there's no true "raw color" -- if you opened the same DNG file in Lightroom it probably looks different "OOB" compared to if you opened the file in Capture One or in my case, Darktable. So if these look somehow particularly good or bad, Darktable is to be partly blamed/praised.

These have had some RGB tone curve treatment so not "OOC".

After seeing some true German color, I understood what people meant when they criticized Fuji color...

Back