Leica Leica Q Type 116

They already had APS-C compacts, so this was a new thing. If they had a zoom lens, or even a 50 mm lens, the camera would not be compact. So they made a great decision. We are in a very mature place in digital photography now, so cameras will not get obsoleted quickly now. The Q is about 1/2 to 1/3 the price of the M with 28 mm lens, so it's a very good deal for someone who wants a full frame Leica as long as they are good with 28 mm, or using the crop features.

to Raid's point: is this SO much smaller than an m9+28 cron as to make it attractive as a 'compact' alternative to those with that (quite expensive) rig? doesnt seem so to me. if we were talking the size difference of the m9 rig vs say a fuji x100 size, THAT i get.

to me this has two things yet to be achieved by leica: low light ability and macro capability. and it has a new sensor that will probably piss off those who just shelled out major bucks for their 240's. typical leica. in the end though, at 28mm this is a niche within the already small 'leica niche'.
I had the M Monochrom - slow, heavy, manual only, rangefinder, etc. The Q is a different world - fast, lighter, automatic options, great screen and EVF.

Didn't Kodak (or a division thereof) make the first digital M full-frame sensor?

For me the question is whether to sell on my X outfit and get the Q, or to get a 28mm lens for my M kit. As impressive as the Q is, I'm leaning toward the latter, and hope that with the Q and 28 Lux now available that used prices on a clean 28 Elmarit ASPH, or even a 28 Summicron ASPH may hit affordable levels soon.

I will be listing my X Vario shortly. Hopefully I'll get a decent price for it (I bought it at one of the lowest price levels).

If not, I'll just stand pat and use the X Vario as my 28mm as I've done since selling off my Nikon three or so months ago. The X Vario lens is actually quite good, so all I'm losing is speed and a bit of resolution that I don't really need anyway as I rarely print larger than 16x20.

I'd agree to stick with the X Vario. With the Q there are 3 big things: One, 28 mm only compared to the XV's 28-70. Two, f1.7 compared to f3.5. Three, full-frame and 24 mp compared to half-frame and 16(?) mp. I think the third difference is the least important.

Hm. Why am I viewing this new camera as a "expensive Leica point & shoot travel camera"?

When most Leica users have several Leica lenses, why would they get this camera? They want to use their Leica lenses on the new sensor.

I think this is more for the people that don't yet have a digital M or any lenses but want to jump in without spending $7k on a body and a couple thousand on a lens.

(or the guy who just sold all his leica gear and suddenly got GAS after seeing this...)

Hm. Why am I viewing this new camera as a "expensive Leica point & shoot travel camera"?

When most Leica users have several Leica lenses, why would they get this camera? They want to use their Leica lenses on the new sensor.

I think Leica is catering to the more affluent non-photo enthusiast customers who love to buy the best. These people are brand conscious at the same time demand the great level of quality. They also want something unique.

Vince

I've been buying Leicas as a photo enthusiast for 35 years. The main justification I need for a new Leica is simple: Is the tradeoff between image quality and size/convenience a good tradeoff, better hopefully than what I've been using, or is it not a good tradeoff? All other issues are secondary, not because I just want to ignore everything else, but because that 35 years of experience informs me of what I'm dealing with. I've had the Pana GM1, Nikon Coolpix A, others .... but Leica usually scores best with me, even though my budget is very limited.

no offense intended, but if youre budget allows for the purchase of a $4500 28mm niche fixed lens camera, its alot of things, but 'very limited' aint one of 'em! ): having said that, no one needs justify any camera purchase to anyone anytime. but lets not call $4500 a limited budget, unless by 'limited' one means 'not limitless'.

no offense intended, but if youre budget allows for the purchase of a $4500 28mm niche fixed lens camera, its alot of things, but 'very limited' aint one of 'em! ): having said that, no one needs justify any camera purchase to anyone anytime. but lets not call $4500 a limited budget, unless by 'limited' one means 'not limitless'.

Sure it is limited. I've been practicing living in substandard housing, driving the cheapest possible cars, eating cheaply and so on, all of those years, precisely because I want to have a Leica camera every so often. What offends me is to have my sacrifices belittled just to satisfy a need to typecast Leica users. Some of us really value these cameras.

Didn't Kodak (or a division thereof) make the first digital M full-frame sensor?

Kodak made the sensor for the M9, M9, and M Monochrom. They are making CMOS sensors again, did a u43 CMOS sensor. I've followed them through to On Semi, which also acquired what was FillFactory- which made the first full-frame CMOS sensor for the DCS-14. I would not bet on it.

The Q stores file DNG files using little endian format, eight 14-bit pixels in seven 16-bit words. The Kodak CCD cameras used Little-Endian. Coincidence?

As far as price- $4500 is the price of a lot of zoom lenses, spotting scopes, and other equipment that carries the Nikon, Canon, Sigma, and other manufacturers.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Q is priced right for what it is. The X is $2300, lacks the built-in EVF, is APS-C (and older, though excellent sensor) and its lens is obviously simpler with its smaller imaging circle. Looking at the features and complexity, the Q and the X show about the same level of performance and features per dollar and likely have similar margins.

With all of the talk about the Q and even playing with one at the Leica Store San Francisco, I have been seriously considering getting one, and what I would need to sell to make room. Well, I decided not to make the move, but that I really do want to spend more time at 28mm. So, the X Vario will go up for sale, and the X (Typ 113) will remain my primary camera for casual use. The proceeds from the X Vario will hopefully fund a clean used 28mm f/2.8 Elmarit ASPH, which I think on the M-E and M Monochrom would more than satisfy my 28mm ambitions.

Its not any deficiency in the Q (the camera is extremely impressive), but rather that after spending a lot of time with my X, I find myself enjoying it more than I expected to when I bought it. The Q has been out for ten days now and is the talk of all the forums, but while I would love the Q's built-in EVF and general ergonomic layout, especially the exposure compensation dial, focus tab and the aperture ring on the front of the lens where it belongs, the X (any of the Xs actually) still delights.

Here are some of my recent X shots taken with the X 113, which remains my most used camera. I was thinking seriously about selling my X Vario and X 113 and then scraping together the rest to buy a Q, but I think I'll change my plans a bit and still sell the X Vario (with the X I only use the XV for 28mm) and get a 28mm f/2.8 Elmarit ASPH for my M kit instead. I like 28mm, a lot, for a single focal length 35mm or 50mm is more my style. At 35mm (equivalent), the X has all that I could ask for in image quality and in the tactile pleasure of handling the camera. My only complaint is that the EVF is external (I use it all the time). Everything else is extremely minor and unimportant. Oh, it cost half what the Q does, and its paid for.

18763349219_8fa629e7e4_b.jpg
L1151353-Edit.jpg
by Lawman1967, on Flickr

18315120373_2d627d71ba_b.jpg
L1151303
by Lawman1967, on Flickr

17938711840_6291f02604_b.jpg
L1151225.jpg
by Lawman1967, on Flickr

17267148076_eec4baedcc_b.jpg
L1151121.jpg
by Lawman1967, on Flickr

17085623127_2a9e571dc3_b.jpg
L1150756-Edit.jpg
by Lawman1967, on Flickr

17292534861_cfb3a5a66d_b.jpg
L1150799.jpg
by Lawman1967, on Flickr

17292522551_2e0aa4de30_b.jpg
L1150764.jpg
by Lawman1967, on Flickr

I second the X-113 choice - I wish I had one for even a month or two. The X1 (to date) produced the most keepers of any of my cameras, and I think it was the camera feel in hand that had a lot to do with that. It remains to be seen if I last that long with the 'Q', but fingers crossed....

BTW, I recall vividly taking the X1 out of the box for the first time, and noting that it looked and felt like a precious jewel (sans the sparkle). I don't know now if that was because it was my first Leica by Leica since the M6, or if I would experience that again with the same opportunity. I can say that I didn't get that feeling unboxing the X Vario, the M Monochrom, the 'T', or the 'Q' - maybe because they were all plain black, or the original thrill was just a one-time deal.

If I had the chance to get the X-113, I'd worry about selecting the wrong finish and regretting it later.

I second the X-113 choice - I wish I had one for even a month or two. The X1 (to date) produced the most keepers of any of my cameras, and I think it was the camera feel in hand that had a lot to do with that. It remains to be seen if I last that long with the 'Q', but fingers crossed....

BTW, I recall vividly taking the X1 out of the box for the first time, and noting that it looked and felt like a precious jewel (sans the sparkle). I don't know now if that was because it was my first Leica by Leica since the M6, or if I would experience that again with the same opportunity. I can say that I didn't get that feeling unboxing the X Vario, the M Monochrom, the 'T', or the 'Q' - maybe because they were all plain black, or the original thrill was just a one-time deal.

If I had the chance to get the X-113, I'd worry about selecting the wrong finish and regretting it later.
My Leicas are all plain black, except for the M-E, which obviously is gray.

I like understated.

Back