Leica Leica Q2 - Released March 7, 2019

DPreview is going for the fake review/dishonest angle for a bit. Q is supposed to only have 1 MP EVF and of low resolution? True, the EVF is LCOS as opposed to OLED but it's every bit as sharp as the new one, with same number of effective pixels. It's not a large crowd who sees rainbows from a LCOS. Very dishonest!

Took my Q from a box as it hasn't seen use since I got the M. The EVF on it is much nicer than I remembered, providing absurdly crisp image. It being an EVF it also provides a much more vivid and bright image than my optical RF of the M. The old camera ain't going anywhere!

While I don't think there's going to be a huge improvement in ISO performance, the new base ISO of 50 sounds enticing. Q with its base ISO of 100 already wipes the floors with M240's performance. I'm not going to say "no" if/when the sensor hits M11.

I don't at all hate anything about the camera, and would love to have one, but, yes, I can make 6 round trips to S.E. Asia for what I'd have to pay. If I could have the camera and the trips, that would be great, but I can't, so I'll take the trips. A decision that has nothing to do with hating Leica.

Back