Leica Leica SL

uhoh, its an af system camera, so showing it without the af lenses is misleading. the lens they released, a normal zoom, has an 82mm circumference! 82mm for a normal zoom! the leica promo picture had a woman holding it attached to the camera and she couldnt get her hand around 1/3 of it! in all my years of photography, make that decades, ive never seen a more absurd looking normal fl combination than this camera/lens. did CaNikon, or any slr manufacturer ever make an 82mm-round normal zoom? ever? my moneys on not, though i dont know of any other manufacturer who ever made a fixed zoom lens camera that topped out at 70/6.5! worse, if thats possible, the i believe the 50 lux they announced is also 82mm! i use leica glass almost exclusively. but for digital hardware (with the possible exception of the just released Q) they are more than irrelevent, theyre a joke, a bad, really high priced joke. if sigma or some other company came out with this kind of a ridiculous product so many people would be p*^#ing on it so quickly and thoroughly it would smell like the nyc subway on a hot july day.

image.jpeg

that is a more appropriate photo. please raise your hand if you want to pay $13000 to carry that monstrosity around. i heard new jersey might outlaw it as they dont allow weapons in the state.

Last edited by a moderator:
If this is a camera (ignoring size) that can perform equally with current 24x36 sensor DSLR's (ignoring size), then as this camera is copied by other mfrs. and reduced in size, those newer cameras will replace DSLR's forever. That is my hope.

I know now that Sony will make millions and millions from the A7R2,3,4 whatever, and Leica will sell only a handful of the SL, but what really interests me is this statement by Reichmann: "Mirror boxes are history and within a few years will only be seen on specialized equipment (medium format mainly) and in models designed for die-hard traditionalists."

EDIT: As far as this SL is concerned, I want it because it would be the first Leica camera I've had that would be respected and feared by the DSLR users in my jurisdiction (i.e. anyone here not using a DSLR is considered to not be serious, not a real photographer). The concern I have is carrying it. I had a problem with the 3-lb MM/Noctilux, since I couldn't find a suitable carry case to park the thing when not taking shots. I would want a case to fit this camera and 24-90 lens that doesn't bulk it up a lot more, but that probably isn't going to be doable.

Last edited:
I must have an "Aura" about me as far as carrying the M8, M9 or M Monochrom; I've never had a DSLR owner tell me to get a real camera. I've had several people, under 25 mostly- stop and tell me that they really like my camera. The only time I've had a DSLR owner make fun of a camera was when using a Polaroid at a party, or film cameras. For the Polaroid as the guy said- "kids, want to see your picture on the back of my camera"- I handed them the print, told them they could watch themselves appear, then give the picture to their Mom. With the Nikon F- explained EMP to the guy. With the N8008s: laughed at the guy with the DSLR, told him this camera USED to be digital, but I converted it to use film.

When I see someone using a Film camera these days, I always stop and tell them "I see you have a REAL camera!"

I must have an "Aura" about me as far as carrying the M8, M9 or M Monochrom; I've never had a DSLR owner tell me to get a real camera. I've had several people, under 25 mostly- stop and tell me that they really like my camera. The only time I've had a DSLR owner make fun of a camera was when using a Polaroid at a party, or film cameras. For the Polaroid as the guy said- "kids, want to see your picture on the back of my camera"- I handed them the print, told them they could watch themselves appear, then give the picture to their Mom. With the Nikon F- explained EMP to the guy. With the N8008s: laughed at the guy with the DSLR, told him this camera USED to be digital, but I converted it to use film.

When I see someone using a Film camera these days, I always stop and tell them "I see you have a REAL camera!"
Nobody ever says anything to me - they just look, and then shun.

ive been hobbying at photography since the '80s. i have NEVER EVER EVER had more people stop me in the street to compliment me or fawn on me than when i started shooting my lowly 6mp rf epson rd1. EVER. my wife honestly cannot believe her eyes/ears. and ya' know what? theres good reason because that cam in the right hands can shoot the ass off a huge percentage of CaNikon know nothings.

my basic philosophy is to never take issue with how anyone chooses to spend their money. good reason, no reason, none of my business. but buying this monstrosity to garner respect points, wow, i might have to break with my philosophy. plato forgive me, but that might be the worst reason for plunking down $13000 ive ever heard. sorry. sorry on many levels.

I'm waiting for someone to bitch about the price of the guys Apple Watch in the above photo. Kinda goes along with anything Leica makes is expensive.

The SL is the promised digital body for those who still own R glass and want and all solution. The follow on auto lens will be bought by those who want a backup to their S's.

seriously, youre gonna compare a $350 watch that does stuff no other watch has heretofore done to a $13000 camera/lens combo that everyones been doing for years for thousands less? ok, lets have at it! ive got more than a dozen watches, none of which cost less than the apple watch. ive had scores of cameras, over thirty years, and COLLECTIVELY they cost less than this beast. let me quote neil youngs eternal question: tell me why?

honestly, you believe leica put this out as a digi R lens solution? o--m--g, i can hardly breathe! and the three multi thousand dollar 82mm filter af lenses are what, a freaking afterthought? a 'why not'? seriously man, if this is your R solution i'm honestly happy for you and cant wait to see what you do with it. but thinking thats Leicas plan, wow, that takes some imagination, you betcha!

Last edited by a moderator:
ive been hobbying at photography since the '80s. i have NEVER EVER EVER had more people stop me in the street to compliment me or fawn on me than when i started shooting my lowly 6mp rf epson rd1. EVER. my wife honestly cannot believe her eyes/ears. and ya' know what? theres good reason because that cam in the right hands can shoot the ass off a huge percentage of CaNikon know nothings.

my basic philosophy is to never take issue with how anyone chooses to spend their money. good reason, no reason, none of my business. but buying this monstrosity to garner respect points, wow, i might have to break with my philosophy. plato forgive me, but that might be the worst reason for plunking down $13000 ive ever heard. sorry. sorry on many levels.

I don't speculate on theory or others' experiences, I just report my experiences as they occur in real life. People always spend money on flashy cars, expensive houses, boats etc. I have an 18 year old Honda and live in a low-cost apartment. If spending $12500 on a flashy camera is somehow more sinful than what other people do, then I'll consider your judgement.

I thought that was an LED watch, I had one in the 1970s that looks just like it. I kept it running for a long time. Now I want a new one. LED watch that is...

Back