Leica Leica SL2 - s

christilou

Legend
Thought I would begin a new thread for this camera as I have traded in some stuff to get it in time to qualify for the free Leica L to M adapter ..... which are the only lenses I have for the moment as I now cannot afford to buy an autofocus one!

L1000120-2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

L1000135.jpg

L1000132.jpg

These with the Voigtlander 35mm 1.2 II ASPH.

The viewfinder is crystal clear and really why I bought it. It's so much easier than focus with the rangefinder (although I have kept the M10). So far so good anyway.

Are these out-of-camera JPEGs? :)

Congrats on the acquisition. I've been eyeing the same model, not to replace my M heaven forbid, but to perhaps replace a more expensive upgrade within M lineup.

Are these out-of-camera JPEGs? :)

Congrats on the acquisition. I've been eyeing the same model, not to replace my M heaven forbid, but to perhaps replace a more expensive upgrade within M lineup.
No these are from the DNG files. I have used a Kodak preset and played with the white balance. I must say the camera does auto wb quite well. When I saw the price of a new M10 I decided to hang on to mine and traded in the A7RIII instead. My computer is not that old and is already struggling with large files from the RX1RII and I don't really need huge files. Wondered about the QII but large files and extra cost put me off somewhat!

L1000553.jpg

L1001555.jpg

Been playing with M10 and SL2s with the 35mm Voigtlander 1.2 II ASPH. First is the SL2s, both have lens corrections applied. If you just look at the flowers themselves I'm not seeing quite the same magic that the M10 seems to have ..... or am I going mad! I should say also that the top roses were yesterday's blooms and today's photo has the fresher ones but that aside!

View attachment 274762

View attachment 274763

Been playing with M10 and SL2s with the 35mm Voigtlander 1.2 II ASPH. First is the SL2s, both have lens corrections applied. If you just look at the flowers themselves I'm not seeing quite the same magic that the M10 seems to have ..... or am I going mad! I should say also that the top roses were yesterday's blooms and today's photo has the fresher ones but that aside!
Christilou, as usual, you're using both cameras to equally great effect; the images are so similar I first mistook the SL2-S' file for the M10's! It may be more visible at higher magnifications, but at web sizes, they are both fantastic, as your wonderful images in this thread prove. Do I personally think the M10 has some kind of secret sauce? Yes, I do - I still love the files it puts out. But I think you manage to extract great results from either body, and the SL2-S is obviously capable of serving you perfectly.

As to what Don has said, I was very surprised about the fact that 45MP files didn't actually present me with a problem (in my case, they're coming from the Nikon Z 7 II) - but the SL2-S' 24MP are testament to the fact that usually, half the resolution is plenty.

The Q2, however ... always presents me with a conundrum; the camera is just a tad big for a compact, but in reality, it's still the only way of getting something this potent in a package this small (the Sony X1R II notwithstanding - but that's not the same kind of camera in the hand, nor in use). But that's not something to discuss in this thread ... Anyway, the M10 with my current favourite lens, the Voigtländer APO-Lanthar 50mm f/2, attached isn't a lot bigger than the Q2 - and it *is* the M10 :)

Looking forward to seeing more of your images, Christilou!

M.

Christilou, as usual, you're using both cameras to equally great effect; the images are so similar I first mistook the SL2-S' file for the M10's! It may be more visible at higher magnifications, but at web sizes, they are both fantastic, as your wonderful images in this thread prove. Do I personally think the M10 has some kind of secret sauce? Yes, I do - I still love the files it puts out. But I think you manage to extract great results from either body, and the SL2-S is obviously capable of serving you perfectly.

As to what Don has said, I was very surprised about the fact that 45MP files didn't actually present me with a problem (in my case, they're coming from the Nikon Z 7 II) - but the SL2-S' 24MP are testament to the fact that usually, half the resolution is plenty.

The Q2, however ... always presents me with a conundrum; the camera is just a tad big for a compact, but in reality, it's still the only way of getting something this potent in a package this small (the Sony X1R II notwithstanding - but that's not the same kind of camera in the hand, nor in use). But that's not something to discuss in this thread ... Anyway, the M10 with my current favourite lens, the Voigtländer APO-Lanthar 50mm f/2, attached isn't a lot bigger than the Q2 - and it *is* the M10 :)

Looking forward to seeing more of your images, Christilou!

M.

Thanks Matt,

I guess I'm thinking that if the SL2s isn't giving me the rendering I like from the M10, then maybe the Q2 will be better? Also, autofocus :) What I don't want to do is spend a lot of money on a camera that I think is pretty much the same image quality as the A9 with a 35mm 1.4 ZA on it ..... I've put these side by side also and the difference is minimal I think.

Thanks Matt,

I guess I'm thinking that if the SL2s isn't giving me the rendering I like from the M10, then maybe the Q2 will be better? Also, autofocus :) What I don't want to do is spend a lot of money on a camera that I think is pretty much the same image quality as the A9 with a 35mm 1.4 ZA on it ..... I've put these side by side also and the difference is minimal I think.

As Matt said I don't see much difference in your shots btw SL2s and M10. Sl2/Q2 files are much bigger without lossless compression (not processing but more storage problem for me)... Q2 is same size as M10, not compact camera, but much smaller than SL2s (same size as my old Canon 5D dslr). Q2 lens is smaller than any equivalent mirrorless af lens, so Q2 gives you an equivalent of af M10... RX1R II has more compact size with old tech but very good glass+sensor (sensor is better than Q2). Now I am enjoying the size of Ricoh GR IIIx due to its size. Sb at FM sold his M10 for Ricoh, again depending on your need/use as I know you like fast aperture lenses for portraits... Q2/SL2 sensor dynamic range/noise curves are closer to apsc sensors (At ISO 50 gives a better dynamic range/noise surpresssion, the rest is apsc curve).... SL2s sensor is better than Q2/SL2, closer to Sony sensors..., Q2 has the advantage off cropping to 35mm/50mm with af and full weather sealing with min problem with dust.... I know Leica has some free trial loaner programs, maybe you can try Q2 before you buy...

28mm
original.jpg

50mm (15MP - 1.8x crop btw apsc and m43)
original.jpg

You can check q2 vs m10 comparison also:
Comparison of the Leica Q2 and Leica M10 — Travel Is Beautiful

As Matt said I don't see much difference in your shots btw SL2s and M10. Sl2/Q2 files are much bigger without lossless compression (not processing but more storage problem for me)... Q2 is same size as M10, not compact camera, but much smaller than SL2s (same size as my old Canon 5D dslr). Q2 lens is smaller than any equivalent mirrorless af lens, so Q2 gives you an equivalent of af M10... RX1R II has more compact size with old tech but very good glass+sensor (sensor is better than Q2). Now I am enjoying the size of Ricoh GR IIIx due to its size. Sb at FM sold his M10 for Ricoh, again depending on your need/use as I know you like fast aperture lenses for portraits... Q2/SL2 sensor dynamic range/noise curves are closer to apsc sensors (At ISO 50 gives a better dynamic range/noise surpresssion, the rest is apsc curve).... SL2s sensor is better than Q2/SL2, closer to Sony sensors..., Q2 has the advantage off cropping to 35mm/50mm with af and full weather sealing with min problem with dust.... I know Leica has some free trial loaner programs, maybe you can try Q2 before you buy...

28mm
View attachment 274973

50mm (15MP - 1.8x crop btw apsc and m43)
View attachment 274974

You can check q2 vs m10 comparison also:
Comparison of the Leica Q2 and Leica M10 — Travel Is Beautiful

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this, much appreciated. I've read a lot about the Q2, some saying the lens is nowhere as good as a "proper" 28mm Summilux but just a copy that is well corrected by software. This makes me think that maybe sticking with the SL2s might be a better bet as at least I have a few lenses to play with, including the ZM 25mm Biogon which I find very useful for travel. There is just something about the character of the M10 that makes me prefer it over the other Leica offerings. I already have the RX1RII for hi res stuff and macro. My latest trip to France this last month had me taking the M10, 50mm Summilux, 25mm Biogon and the Voigtlander 35mm (I didn't use it much) but also the RX1RII which is great but sometimes just not wide enough for the tiny streets in the South of France. I've already packed up the SL to return but maybe I'll get it out again over the weekend and give it a bit more time.

DSC02147.jpg

L1000461.jpg

Another comparison. Sony with the 50mm ZA and I'm not sure about the SL2s. It was either the 50mm Summilux or the 35mm Voigtlander. There were some pics I took with the Leica lens that the M to L adapter didn't recognise because I don't think I tightened it enough (it's a very snug fit!).

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this, much appreciated. I've read a lot about the Q2, some saying the lens is nowhere as good as a "proper" 28mm Summilux but just a copy that is well corrected by software. This makes me think that maybe sticking with the SL2s might be a better bet as at least I have a few lenses to play with, including the ZM 25mm Biogon which I find very useful for travel. There is just something about the character of the M10 that makes me prefer it over the other Leica offerings. I already have the RX1RII for hi res stuff and macro. My latest trip to France this last month had me taking the M10, 50mm Summilux, 25mm Biogon and the Voigtlander 35mm (I didn't use it much) but also the RX1RII which is great but sometimes just not wide enough for the tiny streets in the South of France. I've already packed up the SL to return but maybe I'll get it out again over the weekend and give it a bit more time.
RX1R II is nice for people shooting, but wide angle shooting at my travels is also my problem with RX1R II... Q2 solves that problem, but I even went lighter with Canon G1X III attached on my belt for casual shooting on my last vacation. However, the long end @ f/5.6 is slow with G1X III.... Where I live, I like 45-50mmm more as everything is away near water....

28mm correction is at the edges as you can see in dpreview Leica Q review, but the lens is sharp even wide open:

Trying to focus with the 35mm Voigtlander at 1.2 ..... in poor lighting. Lucky to get this I think! Still on the brink ..... I don't think I want the Q2 though. Thinking the SL2s has "room to grow" as I will be able to use some af L mount lenses .... when I can afford any!

View attachment 275331
I reckon, at least speaking for myself, shooting moving targets Leica M wins any manually-focused mirrorless camera.

How do you think you do better with? M or SL, shooting action?

I reckon, at least speaking for myself, shooting moving targets Leica M wins any manually-focused mirrorless camera.

How do you think you do better with? M or SL, shooting action?

I probably wouldn't shoot any moving targets with the M, would probably try and use a decent aperture and pre focus ..... but moving dogs and kids is a bit different. I can usually focus with the M but get the wrong eye!
SL is probably better at kid shots as the eye viewfinder is so sharp and clear that even without magnify I can get a pretty good idea of where I am with the focus. Bit of swings and roundabouts.

Back