Leica Leica SL2 - s

L1000711.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Nice sedentary dog!

L1000961-2.jpg

L1000969.jpg
L1000962.jpg

Sooc b & ư JPeg High contrast.

Actually sent it back today. Awaiting to hear the re stocking fee .... if it puts the Q2 out of reach then I may just have it back and hope that an autofocus lens makes it more usable. Lots of reasons to return it. A). I don't need it .... (since when did that matter), B) Focus on the A9 does the job for most of my Lucy/dog pics. My right arm wobbles when I hold it in portrait position as I have nerve damage from surgery 20 years ago. Fine in landscape orientation although I have to loosen my grip to reach the focus selector button. Q2 has autofocus, not really sure about 28mm except for travel photography though. More megapixels, already my 3 year old iMac is slow. Wish I could be content that it I keep it I have made the right decision!

View attachment 276454

View attachment 276455View attachment 276456

Sooc b & ư JPeg High contrast.

Actually sent it back today. Awaiting to hear the re stocking fee .... if it puts the Q2 out of reach then I may just have it back and hope that an autofocus lens makes it more usable. Lots of reasons to return it. A). I don't need it .... (since when did that matter), B) Focus on the A9 does the job for most of my Lucy/dog pics. My right arm wobbles when I hold it in portrait position as I have nerve damage from surgery 20 years ago. Fine in landscape orientation although I have to loosen my grip to reach the focus selector button. Q2 has autofocus, not really sure about 28mm except for travel photography though. More megapixels, already my 3 year old iMac is slow. Wish I could be content that it I keep it I have made the right decision!
Well, whatever your gripes with the camera, it didn't stop you from capturing a lovely set of images ...

If you're into L mount glass, why not consider a Panasonic S5? Same size as the A9, but access to a host of very interesting lenses (not only, but also Leica). I almost bought one for the kit lens (I mean - a 20-60mm - isn't that just great?) and its ability to take the wonderfully charming Sigma 45mm f/2.8 C ...

M.

Well, whatever your gripes with the camera, it didn't stop you from capturing a lovely set of images ...

If you're into L mount glass, why not consider a Panasonic S5? Same size as the A9, but access to a host of very interesting lenses (not only, but also Leica). I almost bought one for the kit lens (I mean - a 20-60mm - isn't that just great?) and its ability to take the wonderfully charming Sigma 45mm f/2.8 C ...

M.

I have this yen for the Sigma 40mm 1.4 Art ..... I know it also comes in E mount though! They will only deduct £50 for the return which means I could go for the Q2 but as I have the RX1RII 35mm I wonder if this will be overkill .... I would then be taking a Q2, RX1RII and an M10 and 50mm Summilux every time I go away.

I have this yen for the Sigma 40mm 1.4 Art ..... I know it also comes in E mount though! They will only deduct £50 for the return which means I could go for the Q2 but as I have the RX1RII 35mm I wonder if this will be overkill .... I would then be taking a Q2, RX1RII and an M10 and 50mm Summilux every time I go away.

Depending on how much you love the Sony, or the focal length, a Q2 28mm and M10 50mm pairing, sounds like a dream setup. Similar build, feel, controls - with the Q2 providing AF for every day usage, while the M10 gives you the RF experience and access to any M lens you choose (ie 35mm if wanting to replace the Sony).

The Sony is a great camera with stunning IQ in a small size, but handling isn’t ideal. I do miss the one I had a couple of years ago though, for those first two reasons.

Either way, we know you’ll put out excellent images, so pick the camera(s) that feel best and bring the most enjoyment in use.

Lucy .... has lots of hair!

L1010628.jpg

Voigtlander 35mm 1.2 Nokton ASPH

Spent some time faffing with this camera once again. I find it a bit strange that although having the same pixel count as the Sony A9, the shots seem to be less detailed at close quarters. Perhaps the lenses themselves are getting long in the tooth for modern sensors? My hit rate with the SL2s is marginally better than with the M10 .... I feel that squinting to get focus gave me a bit of a headache this afternoon.

Maybe time to admit defeat and to for the af of a good ol reliable Sony!

Voigtlander 35mm 1.2 II ASPH. Like this lens a lot ;)

Voigtlander makes some great glass. I had the 50mm 1.2 lens adapted on my Sony A7C and really liked the images, but I found the manual focusing challenging due to the smaller EVF. I also don't love the magnification Sony uses, preferring the MF on Panasonic where there's a centre frame magnified within the overall image - allows for better framing imo.

How does the MF work on the SL2-S? Do you find it easier to focus than using your M camera? Not that I can afford either, but curious to know nonetheless :sneaky:

Voigtlander makes some great glass. I had the 50mm 1.2 lens adapted on my Sony A7C and really liked the images, but I found the manual focusing challenging due to the smaller EVF. I also don't love the magnification Sony uses, preferring the MF on Panasonic where there's a centre frame magnified within the overall image - allows for better framing imo.

How does the MF work on the SL2-S? Do you find it easier to focus than using your M camera? Not that I can afford either, but curious to know nonetheless :sneaky:

I've found myself moving the camera to my eye rangefinder style on a few occasions. The viewfinder is very clear and that helps a lot with the 50mm lens. Anything wider I definitely have to zoom in for. Magnify is still something I'm trying to work out. You can move the focus point in the vf with the joystick but sometimes it muddies the waters as then I am confused about the overall framing. I prefer the little cross hair type indicator on the M10's Visoflex vf . You place the little cross over the focus point after framing and then magnify. Doesn't really take much longer. The SL2s is nice to use though. Very solid and the shutter is delightful. When framing isn't critical, i.e photographing buildings etc for travel photography then I would say that the rangefinder is much quicker.

Back