Leica "Leica" subreddit on Reddit

M. Valdemar

Top Veteran
Does anyone follow Reddit?

I've been reading the Leica subreddit there, as well as the "Rolex" subreddit.

I find it sort of juvenile and fetishistic. Embarrassing really. Like a horde of not too knowledgeable people have suddenly "discovered" Leicas and now want to display their acquisitions like trophy objects or millennial jewelry.

I find it goofy. I guess it's good that it keeps camera gear in circulation, but it seems like a lot of people born yesterday suddenly make these "amazing" discoveries and want to flaunt their cameras like tattoos.

Maybe I'm just a grumpy old guy?

I find it sort of juvenile and fetishistic. Embarrassing really. Like a horde of not too knowledgeable people have suddenly "discovered" Leicas and now want to display their acquisitions like trophy objects or millennial jewelry.

I find it goofy. I guess it's good that it keeps camera gear in circulation, but it seems like a lot of people born yesterday suddenly make these "amazing" discoveries and want to flaunt their cameras like tattoos.

Don't know if you're grumpy or not, but I just move on when I come across something I think is silly. There's a lot of rubbish on the 'net and I only frequent 3 forums; dpreview is the most difficult because there is good information to be found but you have to weed through a jungle of uninteresting and sometimes offensive posts. I've been interested in stepping into the Leica M system and besides having and following some excellent discussions here I've been reading Leica Forum.

I'm on reddit and leica facebook groups, however I don't generally participate or post my photos.

The reddit leica group seems to be ok but the standards in the facebook groups are often quite low. I've ranted in this forum just a week or two ago about about leica owners on those groups mostly being older males who take very average to very bad photos of young women in sexually suggestive poses (or very little clothing).

I also casually follow groups of other camera brands, those groups are vastly different. The diverse members there still have a zest for life and photography.

Leica owners are the only ones who consistently and constantly post photos of their own cameras like they're some kind of jewelry. I don't see Canon/Nikon owners do that, and very seldom see Fuji owners do it either.

There are some specific leica members (mostly the japanese) who post some really good work. Jono Slack is another example of the good ones, he always posts interesting photos or articles he wrote. Those are the posts I hang out for.

Leica owners are the only ones who consistently and constantly post photos of their own cameras like they're some kind of jewelry. I don't see Canon/Nikon owners do that, and very seldom see Fuji owners do it either.
Unfortunately some see the brand more as a status symbol than as a tool. Now, of course, I say that while not having a budget to justify buying into the Leica ecosystem so I say that more as an observation based on the "special edition" versions and how often the brand is name-dropped.

Case in point...

Okay, I found this "reddit". What's a "DIT" and why is it red? Ba-da-bing.

There is an "x" on the upper right corner of the page. Click it.

Or better yet, post pictures of your Leica cameras with Russian lenses.

32566599487_a0316a50b7_b.jpg
Jupiter-8
by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Or a Nikon or Two...

49368749972_b1989eb3b5_b.jpg
BLACKSP
by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

That'll will stir up the "why by a Leica and not buy Leica glass" crowd.

My daughter shows me YouTubePoops, "YTP's". No one has ever done a YTP of Moev's Rotting Geraniums.

But most every other song that I can name has been YTP'd. Including "Nuke the Whales". What else do you expect from the Internet...

And for this I spent the 90s developing optical networks.

Last edited:

It was ever thus. This is not something new. People probably only carry on that way now because their predecessors did 5/ 10 years ago.

Last edited:
On a different note, this might be the first use I've seen of embedding Reddit posts here and on the Really Dark theme the black background & dark text is not very easy to read. I've got to add it to the To Do list to check the styling for that.

But are you not the same "M.Valdemar" that spent years on the Leica Forum tweaking the tails of the members and moderators there? The shenanigans on Reddit are hardly news to you, surely...?

I have refrained from tweaking anybody on this forum and have always been on my best behavior. (the closest I have come here to "controversy" was defending smart phone cameras):)

"M. Valdemar" was banned from RFF for making funny posts and "tweaking tails". Guilty as charged.

I am still registered on The Leica Forum and occasionally drop in. My interests are pretty esoteric so it is of little interest to me. I sometimes wound up people who, for example, insisted that using a non-Leica battery in an M9 would void the warranty and cause the camera to explode.

I'm happy here. There are many members like BrianS who I consider to have vast depths of knowledge and I stick to the subjects that interest me, as well as posting the occasional photo.

I thought so, and I have always known you to be courteous here. For the record, I managed to get myself banned from RFF, back in the day... A little matter of my drawing attention to the fact that there were certain members with multiple identities and undeclared moderator powers who would pick fights then come to their own defence, "Incognito"...

This is a much more civil place. :D

I think almost everybody was eventually banned from RFF. My particular nemesis was the biggest doofus over there.....the guy with his own personal "bag" sub-forum.

(I battled a lot with Roger Hicks, but I liked the guy and was really sad when he was diagnosed and went so fast. I should have been nicer. I made some pretty sarcastic, but funny, posts about him)

Last edited:
Back