Leica "Leica" subreddit on Reddit

Unfortunately some see the brand more as a status symbol than as a tool

Even if I had the money for one of those special editions, I wouldn't get one. Although I must admit I kinda like the P models, but precisely because it strips away the red dot and the branding. I don't have any issue with the red dot itself, I just like the simple 'blank' look.

*edit - albeit, I was at a leica gallery opening night last week and met someone there who had a tartan a-la carte D-Lux which actually looked quite nice.

Last edited:
>Roger Hicks, but I liked the guy and was really sad when he was diagnosed and went so fast.

I miss Roger Hicks- His wife is a cancer survivor, had it for years. Then lost Roger so quickly.
Roger made a post about one of his first cameras being a Kodak Retina, but could not use it because the counter/wind mechanism was broken. I sent him the parts, had offered to fix it for him. He knew how, just needed parts.

I also miss Tom A- true gentleman. I sent him a Jupiter-3 for his Leica, and a Menopta 53/1.8 for his Nikon RF. He sent me a Nikkor RF lens and some other great stuff.

Do you remember some disgruntled banned RFF member did this whole alternate website bashing all the members there? The guy was a real nut case but his website was funny. I can't remember the name of it at present.

They banned you instantly for even mentioning it there.

(at the time I didn't fit the "older male demographic" but now I certainly do.....I'm 66)

giphy.gif

Brooo-Ha-Ha... You will rue the day that you made the GIF finder available!

Of all things on RFF- some Mac people decided that they should lecture me on computers. One of them was another Moderator. I figured out how to bypass the safelocks that prevent a Moderator from Banning themself.

My programming style- written some 30 years ago.

Last edited:
>Roger Hicks, but I liked the guy and was really sad when he was diagnosed and went so fast.

I miss Roger Hicks- His wife is a cancer survivor, had it for years. Then lost Roger so quickly.
Roger made a post about one of his first cameras being a Kodak Retina, but could not use it because the counter/wind mechanism was broken. I sent him the parts, had offered to fix it for him. He knew how, just needed parts.

I also miss Tom A- true gentleman. I sent him a Jupiter-3 for his Leica, and a Menopta 53/1.8 for his Nikon RF. He sent me a Nikkor RF lens and some other great stuff.

Tom, Roger and you were the ones I missed the most from there, but really the place was well past it's "best by" date when I stopped going there.

This place seems really nice and I'll take it happily.

That really sums things up.

I've bought a couple of cameras off of Ebay and picked up an S4 in person where the camera was inherited and the "children" (in his 60s) just did not know how to use it, or needed an AF camera. A Kodak Retina IIIS was advertised having a life much like this one, the Widow put it on Ebay. "Husband used it their whole married life"- but she needed the money. A well-used Nikon S2 used by an artist for over 50 years was another. I bought them- gave a good CLA, put film through them.

I've left instructions for my wife to consign my collection through my favorite camera dealer- I've dealt with him for 25 years and his Father before that.

I've left instructions for my wife to consign my collection through my favorite camera dealer- I've dealt with him for 25 years and his Father before that.

Yes but ....

I've bought a couple of cameras off of Ebay and picked up an S4 in person

Those well loved $4 cameras wouldn't have found their way to you otherwise. Sounds like you were the perfect person the cameras ended up with.

That really sums things up.

Just want to quickly add - selling it off as a $4 bargain may quite likely land it in a young photographer's hands, on the cusp of his/her lifelong photography journey.

Consigning it to a dealer may land the camera in a collector's hands which may mean it'll just sit in a display case for another few decades unused.

Hey that reminds me, I read the blog about the journey that a camera made through a world war and generations after. Was that your blog? I can't remember whose it was.

Back