Leica Showcase Leica Summicron M 35f2.0

rflove

Veteran
Very nice performance with the M240 in the middle of a hot, bright day....

BX0MmWB.jpg

WhYhKE1.jpg

kF5lwvv.jpg

tlRmJ9m.jpg

AtXwqlf.jpg

Great series. Superb lens for story telling. Maybe the second and fourth as B/W?

I need to spend some time in downtown Saint Paul with this lens ...

Great series. Superb lens for story telling. Maybe the second and fourth as B/W?

I need to spend some time in downtown Saint Paul with this lens ...
Interesting thought.... I shoot a lot in B&W but this time I chose to emphasize the colors... I'll develop them in B&W and see how they turn out.

Tanks for the kind input. I am very happy with the Leica M and the Leica glass. In reality, for some reason my images are just better in general than those I have made with other systems. The camera really shines under difficult light situations. Even shooting JPGs I am able to recover a lot of information. The images above required very minimal LR5 manipulation, basically to suit my own predilection. I will post more shots with other lenses that came out nicely even though the contrast of light and shadows was incredibly harsh.

is the m240 as iso-limited as the m9?

I haven't had the M9, but based on my friend's experience and that of many others who've posted on the topic, the M240 is much more capable of producing usable images with higher ISO numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just received the Summicron-M ASPH, that is, version V. Really digging the characterful OOF rendering. Also new with the M so these pictures are just me practising. It's surpisingly difficult to misfocus this lens if you take your time...

12-28-13-37-MP004205.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

12-29-12-43-MP004249.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Just received the Summicron-M ASPH, that is, version V. Really digging the characterful OOF rendering. Also new with the M so these pictures are just me practising. It's surpisingly difficult to misfocus this lens if you take your time...

View attachment 192047

View attachment 192048
You may not ever have to buy another lens. I have 21mm and 50mm focal lengths but if I'm being honest, a Summicron 35mm with its obvious qualities can do it all. Wasn't a fan of the 35mm focal length on other (AF) systems as it wasn't one thing or the other but I find it specifically conducive to the rangefinder process.

You may not ever have to buy another lens. I have 21mm and 50mm focal lengths but if I'm being honest, a Summicron 35mm with its obvious qualities can do it all. Wasn't a fan of the 35mm focal length on other (AF) systems as it wasn't one thing or the other but I find it specifically conducive to the rangefinder process.
Lucky for me, I've always have a thing for 35mm-e FOV. My first point-and-shoot started from 35 mm equivalent so I guess that done it. To me, it's the fifty that's the fall-in-betweener. :) Never cared for it in any system.

There are a lot of nice, and cheap, 50s out there. I just received the 1952 Jupiter-8, perfect glass. Russian lenses made before 1954 have German glass in them- I will compare this one with a wartime Sonnar. With case, hood, and orange filter- under $80 delivered.

I just bought a Jupiter-8 myself. Even though still not a fifty kinda guy, the framelines of the M do entice to own at least one fifty. Probably didn't get the best stock with German elements in it but only paid 60 quid shipped and got a bunch of accessories. Won't be expecting crystal clear photos but probably will still exceed my expectations by 500%

When the lens comes in- try a shot with it wide-open and close-up on a ruler, or some shot that you can test the focus. Post a few shots when it comes in.

Back