Leica Leica will replace defective sensors on the M9, M Monochrom, M-E and others with the KAF-18500 Free

I have the M3 DS, CL, IIIf, IIIa, III (black), III (chrome), and the Leica Mini. The M3 DS has a serial number for Aug 1957, matching rigid Summicron 5cm/2. I was just getting home from the hospital that month. I also have Leica mount cameras... Canon, Nicca, Leotax, Tanack, Yashica (YF), Zorki

My interest in trading the M-E for a 240 has been eliminated with this announcement. I hope a permanent solution is found and that a new CCD model appears sometime in the future.

My Leicas: I have the M8, M9 for digital, and I have M6, M3, IIIF, Standard Leica for film. I also have a Leica Mini.

Brian I think you really called it. You explained the technical issues better than anyone on any forum, and you were totally calm and confident about the future.

Seems like we will all be enjoying the M9 for many years to come, TYG.

I may even get a MM some day. When they come down to 3500 LOL

Brian I think you really called it. You explained the technical issues better than anyone on any forum, and you were totally calm and confident about the future.

Seems like we will all be enjoying the M9 for many years to come, TYG.

I may even get a MM some day. When they come down to 3500 LOL

Thankyou, that means a lot to me.

The day will come when the M Monochrom comes down to $3500, but mine will not be for sale... My first Monochrome Digital Camera cost $12,400- probably worth $100 now? It still works, I've taken it apart a few times- but it is very simple as it's a digital back for the Nikon N8008s. The sensor has picked up a few hot pixels, but no dead ones. The original 80MByte SCSI drive built into it still works, and I have a spare.

Great news! Leica received my M Monochrom last week and my sensor does not have the delamination issue. They will clean the sensor and make any other adjustments necessary on January 9 and return. They also validated my warranty, which I was worried about as I did not have the sales receipt.

Great news! Leica received my M Monochrom last week and my sensor does not have the delamination issue. They will clean the sensor and make any other adjustments necessary on January 9 and return. They also validated my warranty, which I was worried about as I did not have the sales receipt.

Good for you! I sent my M9P to Leica NJ a week ago and when I called they had not been able to evaluate it yet. Since they will be closed for the holidays, I will have to wait until January for the verdict. In my case, I am sure it is the delamination issue, as my sensor spots exhibit all of the noted characteristics, and I already had one sensor replaced for what I assume was this very same reason.

On the other hand, I am also considering upgrading to a M Type 240, if the trade-in offer is attractive enough.

Cheers,

Antonio

I went into the Leica Store in SF yesterday and they were not aware of any CCD M to 240 upgrade program. They will still accept trade ins but each body is individually evaluated and a trade in value assigned. I'm assuming the upgrade program will have an established range of trade in vaules, depending on the condition of the CCD M that will be traded.

For those of you who are interested, per the quote received from Leica NJ yesterday, the cost to upgrade from a M9P to a M (240) is $3,150. An upgrade to a M-P is $3,450 which, at the current M and M-P prices, is the better deal.

As much as I loved my M9P, I decided to upgrade to the M-P. Apparently, the humid Puerto Rico weather is not kind to the M9 sensor, as I only got about one year of use out of each of the two sensors in my camera, and did not relish the thought of continuing to send the camera in every year for sensor replacement. I only hope I get along as well with the M-P as I did with the M9P.

Cheers,

Antonio

that is a fair price for the trade in. I can understand going with the newer model. I'm lucky so far, but do not live in a humid area.

Back