Leica Leica X type 113

Hap

Top Veteran
See lots on X1, x2, Vario.....nothing on the above. Folks have experience with the 113 fixed lens camera and opinions?

Hap

I'll bite, just picked up a used X 113. Silver with vintage brown leather/tan cloth half case. I've owned two X1s, two X2s, and an X Vario. IQ from all of these are on par with the 113. The X1/X2 are more pocketable. I do like the larger size body as I have large hands. The X seems to have faster AF than all of the previous. There are plenty of articles touching on the "variable aperture" at close focusing distances feature, I don't find this has been any kind of an issue, plenty of nice bokeh.
20160330-L1010441-Edit.jpg
20160330-L1010488.jpg

Very nice....was thinking about purchasing a type 113. A couple of preowned ones around FS. I see you have a Coolpix A. At one time , these were to be had on some kind of blow out sale for very cheap. Prices have risen since then. Apparently a very good camera. Should have bought one at the time. I've made worse mistakes. More coming.
Hap

Very nice....was thinking about purchasing a type 113. A couple of preowned ones around FS. I see you have a Coolpix A. At one time , these were to be had on some kind of blow out sale for very cheap. Prices have risen since then. Apparently a very good camera. Should have bought one at the time. I've made worse mistakes. More coming.
Hap

The Coolpix A was good, but had 2 limitations for me. One was the 28 mm view, where the 35 mm view of the X series works better for me. The other limitation is the image quality of the JPEGs breaks down quicker with less than ideal lighting, since I'm not shooting RAW.

I'll bite, just picked up a used X 113. Silver with vintage brown leather/tan cloth half case. I've owned two X1s, two X2s, and an X Vario. IQ from all of these are on par with the 113. The X1/X2 are more pocketable. I do like the larger size body as I have large hands. The X seems to have faster AF than all of the previous. There are plenty of articles touching on the "variable aperture" at close focusing distances feature, I don't find this has been any kind of an issue, plenty of nice bokeh. View attachment 4355View attachment 4356

It absolutely has crossed my mind. Would be nice to have a Q but price sensitive. Other option X Vario but I presume larger form factor.

I also suspect that the difference between an X and possibly a Coolpix A or older Fuji might not be that much.

I also suspect that the difference between an X and possibly a Coolpix A or older Fuji might not be that much.

The Coolpix A is tiny and has a lens that collapses and covers itself. Extremely convenient compared to the X that's several times bulkier. But the X is 35 mm and f1.7, compared to the A which is 28 mm and f2.8. If I were going somewhere where I didn't want to carry the bulky camera bag, the A would be perfect. BTW, the X1/X2/XE fits the Leica 18709 compact camera case, so those would be as easy to carry as the Coolpix A.

I was extremely interested in purchasing a Coolpix A a year so ago....when they were aggressively promoted pricewise. I should have bought one but as is my habit....over analyzed and delayed. Coolpix A prices have stabilized or even risen, at least on the auction site. I don't know much about the smaller Leicas of similar size.. Perhaps it was an error for me to be evaluating an X in the same breath as A, while knowing little about X1 etc.

I am not sure where the X fits in for me. I have read a lot about the A....which has very good IQ and is fast in operation. BTW...I have an M5 in my hands. although it is large, I really like the way it handles. Great ergonomics for my way of doing things with the meter, shutter speed dial, finder information, and all. the built in spot lines on the 50mm frame is really nice. This one has a R/F that may be a bit compromised or showing its age. Replacing with OEM is impossible. Big cost to replace with MP finder. Best to have voltage adjusted too. It may have to go.

ayyaiyai..... Adorama just had the Coolpix A refurbished by Nikon for sale.......299$. I went to the website and it was sold out in a microsecond. Last week $329.

Back