Leica Leica X type 113

Looking at the 'X' lens, it appears that Leica could easily have put the DOF scale there just like their other lenses. So, it appears that they did not do so for marketing purposes only, which would obviously be a bad, bad decision. Good luck on getting a statement from Leica.

More than likely the movement of the ring and the distance it sets on the lens (remember, focus by wire) is not linear, and thus a static engraved scale would not have been accurate at all distances.

andrew, you like the camera with its feature set, and truly, that is great for you and many others. but honestly, to say leica didnt include a software feature it has included before, that others routinely include, that make zone shooters--a substantial portion of leica users--lives easier, because it had better things to do, im sorry to say, kinda doesnt make sense. in the end, like everything else in the world, it is what it is. you either like it or you dont, and if you dont, youre lucky enough to have other choices.

Last edited by a moderator:
More than likely the movement of the ring and the distance it sets on the lens (remember, focus by wire) is not linear, and thus a static engraved scale would not have been accurate at all distances.

The X lens is fixed at an equivalent 35 mm view, and my Noctilux lens is fixed at 50 for full-frame cameras. I can't imagine that the Nocti would be more accurate than the X, or am I missing something?

That's done it.....!

My missus (a Fuji X-T1 user) had been coveting my Leica Q for a while. Last night, we attended Olaf Willoughby's talk at the Leica Store (City) in London. While we were there, we had a look at an X2 and an X. The X being slightly larger, fitted my wife's hands better than the X2 and it also has an f1.7 on the front rather than the f2.8.

After a bit of umm-ing and aaah-ing, I eventually bought her the X as an early Christmas present and to avoid her having to carry round the (slightly) larger X-T1 and lenses when she just wants something relatively light that will take up next to no room in her bag.

Now she just has to get used to it.....

I'm starting to think one of my purposes in life is to revive dead camera threads because, not being able to buy them new, I have to wait until the price matches my pocket book. Anyway, I got a very nice brown and silver X type 113 for $800 in very nice condition except for some light marks on the LCD. I loved my X1 (both of them!) and spite of the addtional size, I'm going to love this even more. I'm posting a few test shots. The inside photo was shot at 3200 iso, so I don't understand the idea that the speed is unusable on this camera. At least from raw files it is quite usable, even in color.
Jeffrey LR L1020422from raw.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
L1020404 copy.jpg
L1020462.jpg
L1020469.jpg

The X type 113 is a wonderful camera. I guess you either like the limited controls or you don't, but I do. It puts out files that are reasonably malleable in my opinion. Yes, you have to be careful with highlights, but I had to do that shooting kodachrome too. It's not an issue for me. Shot these this afternoon, pictures of my favorite bakery in town. I have fun shooting with the X, and that's half the battle.
L1020999.jpg
L1021003.jpg
L1021006.jpg
L1021007.jpg
L1021010.jpg
L1021011.jpg
L1021012.jpg
L1021014.jpg

Back