Leica Leica X1 Image Thread

Andy, you are certifiable! I refuse to answer this question on the grounds that it could incriminate me no matter what. Repeat after me: "I will wait until after Photokina...I will wait until...":daz:

Thanks for the clarification on the flying object, too.

Andy, you are certifiable! I refuse to answer this question on the grounds that it could incriminate me no matter what. Repeat after me: "I will wait until after Photokina...I will wait until...":daz:

Yeah I'm going to wait and see what they bring out. I'm going to wet myself if they bring out a X2 with interchangeable lens system!! Or Just a better version of the X1 would be nice with some of the niggles sorted out. Also there may be a D-Lux 5!!!!!

some from my weekend - which felt like summer's end

4983566339_09dc8197ef_b.jpg

f/11 @ 1/200th ISO 200

4984400143_137d406c4c_b.jpg

f/2.8 @ 1/1000th ISO 500

I took these on the way back from a little bakery in the town right next to ours. This is the most beautiful part of the town where we live. It's made up of a tidal inlet from Long Island Sound and salt marshes.

4988431580_937e965733_b.jpg

f/11 @ 1/500th ISO 200

You have some lovely views around you but I LOVE the second picture of the foliage :) I've been looking at my pics today and thinking that they look quite underexposed. Was the day quite dark in your photos or do you think that the X1 generally makes things very saturated? I've been reading that people are putting in minus compensation so I tried that myself yesterday but I don't think it needed it !

Honestly, the day was fairly dark and blustery... I exposed for the sky's highlights and that gave me some issues....I had to bring out the land. While taking these photos and the others on my "stream" it was quite windy...and I was playing around with the shutter speed, keeping an eye on the ISO (for a change!) and at times even trying manual exposure. There's one on my Flickr page that I did a pretty bad job of exposing for.. I had just pulled over and took one quick photo - the first one...and then the fisherman stood up and I felt I should ask him if I could take his photograph...and I was too flustered to even think about taking time to adjust things and well...I had the EV to -0.7 whereas the first shot, as seen above, worked find that way. The last one was at 0 EV...but I had to bring out the land to compensate for the sky. So don't ask me what to do!:redface:

I also am using RAW and I do up the clarity often to about 70-75 and add in vibrance sometimes even desaturating...also set the Tone Curve to Strong Contrast, and for the "landscapes" use the preset - sharpening for narrow edges. Then if it's not a well balanced, well exposed photo...I play around with the "Regions" in the Tone Curve panel.

I'm still learning how to deal with scenes with serious contrast... If you go on my Flickr stream there's one of this young man - who was fishing. I fought to save that in LR...and didn't do the greatest job. I have yet to learn how to use the dodge and burn "brushes" which I need to really make myself do because they'd help a great deal in certain circumstances.

Honestly feel a bit odd about even saying what I "do" because I'm still in the early learning stages. I find Scott Kelby's book to be the readiest source of info, though I have several others...

BB, thanks for all of that. It's very helpful to bumble along with a fellow LR learner! I probably do some very similar things to you. I sometimes use the Punch setting to see if I like the colours any better. Sometimes I desaturate/vibrance a little. Always add plenty of clarity and sharpen everything in fine edge sharpen! Don't trust my own sharpening skills yet. I think my pictures look a lot like yours in as much as they have the same really dark look about them. I'm maybe noticing this more against the "bleachy" look of the EP2 output. Even though I have adjusted the exposure slider a little, they still look very shadowy to me. Well, just better keep on experimenting I suppose, nothing else for it :rolleyes:

A really great series of photos. You did well on a day when the light clearly wasn't co-operating. I think if the land was brighter it would look unnatural in comparison to the overcast sky. As it is there's still lots of detail there and the sky is fantastic.

I think you're right, Kathy - at least at this point with my somewhat ham handed attempts to lighten the landscape parts, they just didn't look right. Probably, if I had another software - such as Photoshop or Elements and could do some more involved processing, I could have done much more. I know very little about post processing as I've said :026: ad nauseum, however a friend of mine came over yesterday evening and showed me what he'd done with somewhat similar circumstances with some scenes in Cape Cod...and how he'd used "layers" etc., and - what a difference!

I also wonder if I was mistaken in using the sky to meter in this case, but I felt the sky was so important and that it would have been completely blown otherwise. I really should post these thoughts on another forum - Image Processing, I suppose.

Experiment

I decided today the I would shoot superfine jpegs with the preset film set to vivid and sharpening, saturation and contrast set to medium high. I think I may have overdone it. What do you think?

lunch.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I like this, Kathy. I'm not sure what the technical side has effected and how but I only really see the highlights on the legs of those two bar stools as being a bit too bright and that area that looks to be some sort of sandwich refrigerator or ?, with the yellow side wall - otherwise it looks pretty darn good to me. Maybe backing off slightly on the"vibrance" a bit would help a touch with that one fellow's rosy glow? But perhaps that was alcohol induced?;) Great blues and the counter...and the liquor bottles and that one fellow's sneaker sole!

I'm surprised that I like it too because I usually look for more natural colours in images :) I've been experimenting with vivid too as I've been reading on the web about other people's JPEG settings for the X1 and quite a few are using the vivid so it seems. I think it works for some photos and not others. I don't like the greens that you get in outdoor pictures but certainly the type of picture you have taken really sets it off well. I think the guy's face hue is the reflection from the orangey bar lights. The blues are terrific, really love them. It's so inspiring to see other people's photos because it motivates me to get out there and have another go. Thanks for posting Kathy.

Christine, good observation about the orangey bar lights being picked up in that fellow's skin tones. I've almost always used Vivid with my E-PL1, it just seemed to work better for me and until very recently I pretty much only used jpegs with it due to lack of RAW support with the software I was using.

It's so inspiring to see other people's photos because it motivates me to get out there and have another go.
:thiagree:

You must have a connection "upstairs" Christine because these are both really nice but I am head over heels for your second shot! This one of the men in white bent over their patient is fantastic!

Now inquiring minds feel the need to know - are we talking a conversion here or in camera jpegs for the black and white?

By the way - lovely, lovely color on the car in that first one.

Back