Leica Leica X2

hunterspoint2

Am hoping to find some X2 users on this forum. I bought an X2 recently and although I have multiple other cameras (I do have GAS- gear acquisition syndrome :) ), including the M9/Fuji XProx1, X100, Sony Rx1, Nikon D7000 etc)- I still keep coming back to this camera. It is easy to carry, is responsive and I am pleased with the files I get from this little camera.
I have not been able to find too many X2 users on other forums and would like to get other comments/recommendations for the cameras use. Have gone through the manual, but there is always something else to be learned.
Look forward to visiting frequently.

Me too!!
I have the X2 and the OM-D, which I love. In spite of all the bad and at best mediocre press, I hunted down a - for Leica - reasonably priced and well-taken-care-of used X2. I was utterly blown away by the image quality. I'm guessing the OM-D with PL25/1.4 is better handheld in low light, and it is way more versatile. But I like the Leica's simplicity. I don't have to think about what lens to bring. I don't have to consider all these modes. Just shoot and learn about photography.

People have been doing great things with the Fuji X100s, and I'd probably like to try one of these someday, but the quality of the photos is just different somehow.

I see you have GAS. What I find interesting is that you have both an X2 and Sony RX1. So what about the X2 holds your interest/enthusiasm over the RX1? I have an X2 and enjoy it more and more as I get acquainted with it. I've looked at the RX1. And I know the RX1 is now the fave among top reviewers and I get it technically, but there's not the Leica aesthetic and simplicity. So I'd love to hear your honest opinion, pros and cons of each.

Well....I has used x2 fm2hp nex5n xpro1 xe1 x100 x20 5d2 1ds2 600d 60d with some new/old lens,and now,if I have to choose one of them,it's absolutely xe1, the control is very handy,the size is perfect with almost the shortest flange focal distance(witch means more lens fits),and its perfect jpg color mode.

X2 is good enough for shooting pictures. But when I use it , it's not so handy for me,of cause its far better than nex,but a bit complicated.

Just tried out the X2...

LeicaBoutiqueX2_zps0b46e8dc.jpg

at the Leica Store in Miami. Really liked the feel of it, the heft, the solidity, and of course the straightforward controls. Can't tell much from the few shots I took about overall IQ, but I would not mind finding out... (Shot with X2, of course).

Found out quickly that AF does not work for this kind of capture, switched to MF and used the closest focus range and just kept tweaking the focus dial to maintain the focus assist magnification box.

My used X2 just arrived in the mail today. I am preparing for my first ever trip to Europe (Germany and Austria) to celebrate my 20th anniversary. My original though was to bring my M Monochrom and a nice assortment of glass, but my wife made it fairly clear that while she wants some nice pictures, so doesn't want me to spend time fiddling with gear.

So, since I've long been a 35mm kind of guy, I figured the X2 would be a perfect fit. As automated or manual as I want it to be, high enough image quality to make a nice coffee table book of our trip, and most importantly small, light and non-fiddly enough that it won't take over the trip and just maybe I can be in a few of the pictures.

I intend to play with it this coming weekend in Las Vegas. Set for DNG + Super-Fine JPEG with JPEG mode as high-contrast B+W.

If it is any consolation- I left the M Monochrom at home when on Vacation and brought the M9. I ended up using the 35 Ultron, Jupiter-3, and 10.5cm F2.5 Nikkor. The M8 was the back-up.

On a trip like this- be sure to have a backup camera- sometimes things happen.

So took my X2 out this morning (nothing fancy, just behind my office) to see what this thing can do. These three are actually the same capture. First is the color DNG with no post. Second is the out-of-camera JPEG, set to high-contrast B+W with contrast at medium high. Third is the color DNG imported into Siilver Efex with +26 structure, orange filter and Ilford Pan F film effect.

Color DNG, no post.
10208774045_c4ac412c76_b.jpg

L1060009.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

OOC JPEG, no post
10208803446_1a2b56ed00_b.jpg

L1060009-2.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

Color DNG to Silver Efex, minimal post
10208795906_502c41ee06_b.jpg

L1060009-Edit.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

Direct Comparison of a very boring pomegranate behind my house. First the original color DNG from the X2, then converted to B+W in LR5 with Yellow filter effect and Silver Efex, then from the M Monochrom with physical yellow filter, same post in LR5 and Silver Efex (- yellow filter preset).

Color DNG from X2, no post
View attachment 5760
L1060011.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

Color DNG from X2, converted to mono in LR5 and Silver Efex
View attachment 5761
L1060011-Edit.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

Leica M Monochrom with Summarit-M 35mm, same post in LR5 and Silver Efex
View attachment 5762
L9999824-Edit.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr