Leica Leicas in the movies and on TV

greyelm

All-Pro
Just for fun post any sightings of Leica cameras in movies and are they being used convincingly.

Here's a couple to start.

"Poirot" - Cpt Hastings is seen using a III or IIIa with a collapsed lens

"Polisse" - a French film with a photographer throughout the film using a black M8 in what looks to be a fairly convincing way

Over to you

I was just looking at Ebay auctions for M9s and saw one listed that had been used by Stallone in "Expendables 3". I guess that's supposed to make it more valuable. To me it just makes it "used" ;).

Blood Diamond (2006). Black Leica M6 used by character Maddy Bowen played by Jennifer Connelly. At least showed the actress how to hold it properly (or maybe she already knew?). But oh yes.. movie editors couldn't help themselves and added the dreaded SLR noise to ruin the scene for Leica shooters.

Spy Game (2001). Looks like another black M6 with winder/motor used by the character Tom Bishop played by Brad Pitt. Grr... hate the SLR noise they added.. use is completely wrong.

During this season of Mad Men, they were working on Leica's advertising campaign. In a more recent espisode I saw Don hand a friend a new leica in a red and white box but the camera was never removed from the box. I don't go out of my way to watch this show so Leica may have been featured more in some of the earlier episodes from this season.

During this season of Mad Men, they were working on Leica's advertising campaign. In a more recent espisode I saw Don hand a friend a new leica in a red and white box but the camera was never removed from the box. I don't go out of my way to watch this show so Leica may have been featured more in some of the earlier episodes from this season.

The season opener, two episodes long, is the only mention of Leica so far. I doubt we'll hear more of it.

Not a Leica but in an episode of Dexter he shoots a DSLR but the viewfinder shows framelines. 😕

Of course there's the clusterf**k of a movie called "The Mountain Between Us". :D It features a digital Leica M but it also shoots film. It's a Leica rangefinder but the protagonist uses a long lens on it use as binoculars. It's also got a very short minimum focus distance and the lenses feature autofocus!

Blood Diamond (2006). Black Leica M6 used by character Maddy Bowen played by Jennifer Connelly. At least showed the actress how to hold it properly (or maybe she already knew?). But oh yes.. movie editors couldn't help themselves and added the dreaded SLR noise to ruin the scene for Leica shooters.
Yeah I remember the movie and that she shot something very close, closer than the 0.7 m MFD. But otherwise it looked like a decent usage.

Back