Leica Showcase Leitz 50mm f/2 Summitar

Of course, when no blades intercept light, there is no effect then.
Do the extra blades give a better looking OOF effect?

10-bladed war-time Summitar, Hawkeye traffic film

"Mom"
HE131205.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The colors are more saturated in this shot- The grain still looks digital to me. Interesting.

The late-run Summitars reverted back to the Hexagon shaped/double set of aperture blades of the Summar. The only advantage that I can think of: reduce focus shift due to spherical aberration. My speculation- same reason that Zeiss Opton moved to the oddly shaped aperture shape.

The switch was somewhere in the early 1950s. I kinda figured it was because they wanted to get rid of some left-over stock of aperture parts, possibly from the Xenons or Summars, before introducing their new shiny summicrons.

Somme Area in France, earlier this year

1+100 Stand developement Fomapan 100 Classic in R09 "One-Shot". I was not using enough concentrate per roll of film in the tank unfortunately. So these are all rather dark and grainy. You live and learn...or at least you live.

e45114ff36d1f5d089006e7172dca7ba.jpg

3a377521fa563cdc22c8f836463436d5.jpg

4c94abeee82f3c30ece6901c41a45a45.jpg

e201b2a61cea6cbfed482f62af8ff014.jpg

5b1370f46719825dd8ec8351d75b09b5.jpg

I just wish I had known about the 1/3rd-2/3rd of a stop sensitivity drop when developing Fomapan in Rodinal before hand.
I would've exposed the film accordingly (Like I did with the Leica IIIb test).

mats150702.jpg

Uncoated, 1939, 10 blades. Fomapan 100 ( Ro9 1+25 6.5minutes)

Coming back to the difference between the hexigonal or more rounded aperture openings. The shape of the 6-bladed design supposedly reduces vignetting at wider apertures.

I have a couple of Summitar filters, but I've only used the Y0 (GBOOM)
If I come across them at the Photographica Fair for the right price I sometimes pick them up.
But they're rarely at the right price. 20 Euro is too much in my opinion.

I think I've got a blue and green one lying around. I believe one wasn't even an original Leitz filter. Walz maybe.

DAG made me a filter adapter for the Summitar by taking an old Summitar filter with bad glass (which I supplied), removing the glass and gluing in a 39mm female thread. This worked nicely on the M8, where I needed to use an IR cut filter). He warned me that it might vignette on full-frame Leicas. I haven't tried yet. IIRC he recommended making a Summitar to 46mm adapter for film or full frame. This is probably something that any competetent and willing repair person could do.

Some Summitar photos from the "September Odyssey 1944-2019" trip last year.

SO19A017.jpg

Getting the low-down from the Top Kick.

SO19A107.jpg

Crossing the field

SO19A111.jpg

Kameraden?

SO19A169.jpg

"Get me that bridge!"

SO19A195.jpg

Gearbox transplant

SO19A234.jpg

Waiting for I&R and our platoon of scout cars. (stitched together from 3 images)

Leica IIIc, 5cm f/2 Summitar (uncoated, 10 blades), Fomapan 100

Back