Micro 4/3 lens advice

pani leica? Is it better than the 20mm 1.7? Is it on the pricey side : ( I know it seems weird. Good quality for low prices. Lolz, will consider it. Isn't the Sigma 16mm 1.4 just as good or better? It's in my price bracket : )

Dont know about the Sigma, I have never had any "pirate lenses" in M43, to use a 80s euphinism as towards lens makers, but stuck to either Panasonics or Olympuses.
I havent bought a new lens in several years, second hand shopping is the name of the game. I got my PL15mm for about 350ish, which is a bit but doable. I sold off some other gear to fund it, though.

Most likely the only lens I will buy new as of now, if and when I need it, would probably be the PL100-400, but that is due to rumored sample variation and the warranty, which up here is 5 years. :)

I totally concur with "previously owned" car terminology. Tell me about it. I sold off all of my pentax stuff.... K-3 50mm etc... and got a used Olympus omd em 1 mark 1 for the whooping total of $50 bucks. ; )

pani leica? Is it better than the 20mm 1.7?
Better? Not really but they are both very good and different enough to own both, but you only get to to realise this after spending time with both lenses. I would suggest eventually getting both as opposed to viewing this as one VS the other, it’s worth it.
to use a 80s euphinism
A very real euphemism during that era, not to be taken lightly!

pani leica? Is it better than the 20mm 1.7? Is it on the pricey side : ( I know it seems weird. Good quality for low prices. Lolz, will consider it. Isn't the Sigma 16mm 1.4 just as good or better? It's in my price bracket : )

If price is a consideration, the 20mm Panasonic should be close to the top of the list. The 1st generation or Mark 1 is often available more cheaply and, having used and owned both, I think it's every bit as good as the Mark II. And the lens is a tiny wonder: a true pancake lens which, mated with a small mu43 body, gets you almost into the semi-pocketable range.

The PL15 is a different animal. Slightly wider - physically almost twice as large (though, honestly, relatively speaking, it's still a very small and quite compact lens) and... now one gets into the realm of things that are hard to quantify. But... it may be the single best micro four thirds lens I've ever owned or used. Period.

When I bought my slightly used one, years ago, I couldn't honestly afford the prices that even the used ones were selling for - but I saved a few bucks by buying its clone, the DJI-branded and 100% identical version of the lens, which Panasonic manufactured for DJI drones. Why, you are wondering, would Panasonic do this? Because (sssshhhh, don't tell anyone) Leica has (or at least used to have) a number of complex marketing, manufacturing, and technology-sharing agreements with DJI - and as a result of which, they asked Panasonic to make a DJI-branded version of the lens for DJI. The one I found at the time was significantly cheaper - but, ironically, that may no longer be the case (since DJI has acquired the status of a premier drone-optical maker).

Both the 20mm and the 15mm are superb lenses.
The 20mm is obviously closer to the classic 50mm FOV - while the 15 is perched in between two classic FOV's, the 28mm and the 35mm. So each gives you a different view of the world. But, honestly, both are amazing lenses.

I read your reviews. Very good. I'm going to with 12-100mm Oly. Is there something after that without going into the 300mm range? I already have a 150-600mm G2 Tamron for birding. Is there a Pany 12-100mm tha's close to the Oly? Panasonic has a 35-100mm f4 is that good? Because the Oly is $1,100 kinda out of my budget. The Pany 35-100 is only $350 more reasonable. And I'll take the 20mm f1.7 for close up/indoor

If you want the 35-100 range, I'd recommend the Panasonic 35-100/2.8. Version 1 and 2 are basically optically identical. I've owned both.

If you want even longer range than that and do not want to kill the bank and can live with a slow aperture, then you can look at the Oly 73-300/4.8-6.3 or the Panasonic 100-300mm. I've only ever had the Oly and from what people say they are both about the same.

One thing I will warn about the O 75-300 - you'll want to shoot it in good light and keep the shutter speed up as fast as you can get it. That is where I find the best results.

My Review of the 35-100:

Flickr Albums for the 35-100:
Version 1:

Version 2:

Review of the Oly 75-300:

Flickr album:

Now, if you want the extra reach, the Oly 40-150/2.8 is a great lens, but much larger than the panasonic. I opted to go back to the Panasonic 35-100/2.8 for the size and portability.

In this review, I show the size of the Olympus 40-150/2.8 next to some full frame FOV equivalent lenses.

the camera body is Olympus omd- em I , the questions regarding the body must be regarding the in body stabilization as well as the lens stabilization aka 2 forms of stabilization. shooting will be general all around not something sport, or wildlife specific

Panasonic 25mm f1.7

and a one fast prime for indoors/ low light
All the E-M1 bodies support sync-IS with the 12-100, Lucien.

It is almost spooky just how good the sync-IS is! I'm 74 y.o., and the arthritis, back pain and permanent painkillers and antispasmodic are playing havoc with what semblance of stability I still had.

For a smaller camera, I use my E-M1 MkI + 12-50, and smaller still, my E-PM2 + 14-42 EZ pancake zoom. The latter will (just) fit in a small polo shirt pocket ... I also have the Olympus f/1.8 25, which is terrific when I need a fast normal prime.

It really is a fine lens. And it's Oly. Oly + Oly = match : ) for stabilization and weather resistance What do you use for longer reach? Or you don't shoot longer.

It really is a fine lens. And it's Oly. Oly + Oly = match : ) for stabilization and weather resistance What do you use for longer reach? Or you don't shoot longer.
75-300 MkII and FTs 50-200 MkI + 1.4 TC. I've got an f/7 560mm telescope, but don't use it for terrestrial shooting.

Transit of Venus in 2012 with E-510 and telescope.

E-510_JAK_2012-_6066790_Ew.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Back