Fuji Lens hood for X100 - Anyone tried the JJC?

Mytola

Regular
As the original Fuji Lens Hood+adapter ring is hideously expensive compared to the knockoffs, I was wondering if anyone has got any experience with the one from JJC. I've got a cheap no-name hood+adapter ring at the moment, but the fact that the finish doesn't match the silver on the X100 is actually getting on my nerves. (I know, I've probably got a mild case of OCD here... :p )

Does the JJC one match the finish on the X100 well? Or has anyone bought any other cheaper alternatives that matches the X100 finish?

Bought a JJC hood/adapter, had it on the camera attached to the WCL-X100 (yes, it also fits perfectly on Fuji's built-in bayonet mount). I dropped the camera from about 30 inches onto a carpeted floor, the vented JJC hood took the brunt of the impact and buckled a little but 100% saved the camera, lens and filter. I immediately bought a replacement JJC hood - never mind the light-shielding capability (which I assume is roughly identical for all vented hoods), this inexpensive accessory offerred great protection for the camera and I would recommend it highly for that purpose alone.

All of these wide, vented hoods will interfere to some degree with the built-in flash, you can see in the photo above that it blocks the flash window partially.

That both looks and sounds good! I've got the JJC hoods for my Olympus 75mm and 12mm, and those are certainly good quality. The only thing I was a bit worried about was the colour match, but that looks to be spot on as well. I think I'll have to order one now. Thanks, guys! :)

i use one, along with a b+w uv filter. got a black one -- the hood -- because i shot leicas for a lot of years and the leica ones were black, because silver would reflect in the viewfinder in many situations where a hood is needed.

I had an issue when using a filter with the hood.
The lens would grind in macro mode and I would need to turn the camera off.
I almost sent it in to Fuji. When I removed the filter, the problem went away.
I like the idea of the black hood.

I had an issue when using a filter with the hood.
The lens would grind in macro mode and I would need to turn the camera off.
I almost sent it in to Fuji. When I removed the filter, the problem went away.
I like the idea of the black hood.

The inner barrel travel requires a bit more room than a standard filter will permit. One solution is to buy two 49mm filters - one cheap one that you remove the glass from to use as a spacer and another good one that you mount in front of that. The extra few mm of depth will allow the full travel of the lens. This is not necessary if you have the WCL attached, you can attach a 49mm filter directly to the front of that lens.

There are now even cheaper ones on EBay for $7 or so (hood + adapter), but I guess that's the one you have now? Besides the color was it functionally fine?

I feel like it's a pretty low-risk proposition as long as you are careful when you first screw on the adapter (to make sure it screws on smoothly and fits right, doesn't bind, etc.)

Yep, I have one of the very cheap no-name ones. It's a bit flimsy to be honest, and the finish on the inside of the adapter ring gets scraped off when I screw it on/off. This leaves some dust on the lens as well, which I'm not too fond of. These small issues together with the mismatch in colour is too much for me... :p

The inner barrel travel requires a bit more room than a standard filter will permit. One solution is to buy two 49mm filters - one cheap one that you remove the glass from to use as a spacer and another good one that you mount in front of that. The extra few mm of depth will allow the full travel of the lens. This is not necessary if you have the WCL attached, you can attach a 49mm filter directly to the front of that lens.

That's what I've done with mine.The first ring is an old filter with the glass removed.The " made in Germany" ring is b & W filter, then the beauty ring goes over that.I have , but don't use, the jjc hood.It matches well, just don't want the bulk and the filter is my protection.

8475038732_cd66221193_b.jpg

Fuji X100 by spinyman, on Flickr

That's what I've done with mine.The first ring is an old filter with the glass removed.The " made in Germany" ring is b & W filter, then the beauty ring goes over that.I have , but don't use, the jjc hood.It matches well, just don't want the bulk and the filter is my protection.

I've never been one for filters unless they were polarizers, but I can see how one might want to protect the front element of the lens on this camera since it can't easily replaced if something happens. Are you using a UV filter or just a clear protection filter?

I don't know why, but I've focused about as close as you can in macro mode and not encountered any problem the JJC hood and a B+W filter (I did not trust the filter that came with the adapter and hood.) I've watched as the lens barrel moved out, and it hasn't hit anything, and putting my ear to the camera I did not hear any weird grinding. I don't know why some have a problem and others do not, but the B&W filter does have a bit more space (a couple of mm) between the very back of the filter and the filter glass itself. That may be enough.

It's a B + W F=PRO 49mm clear UV haze filter.I'm not a fan of filters either but in the X100,the lens just seems too vulnerable.I had the jjc hood on it as my lens protection for awhile but prefer the lower profile of my current rig.I suppose the hood provides flare protection, and this camera is prone to that.But I have found that I like to use the flare to dramatic effect and welcome it.

I've always questioned how much flare protection a hood can really offer if its vented the way rangefinder hoods seem to be. I understand why they need the vents though.

Back