Filters Lens Macro Diffuser

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Hall of Famer
Name
Ovi
Heuou. I know it sounds weird but there's a method to the madness :p

I decided to get the Laowa 85mm f 5.6 APO Macro lens (going to buy it this Friday, used) and I decided to go with the Meike MK320 flash for a handheld macro flash setup. Where I need help is getting a macro diffuser to go on the lens but the problem is most of them seem to be for lenses of 58 to 67mm filter size lens. The Lowa is very small and skinny, with 46mm filter thread (I don't think I've ever seen that size on an FF lens before), and the diffusers I've found are going to wiggle like crazy being too big.

I know there's Pope Shield and I will probably order one but the delivery time can be up to 10 weeks (from what Widell said) but it fits in my budget. I was looking for alternatives until those would be delivered. Links to the products would help.

I know there are more pro setups but I don't want something that huge on a setup this small.

Last edited:

I decided to get the Laowa 85mm f 5.6 APO Macro lens (going to buy it this Friday, used) and I decided to go with the Meike MK320 flash for a handheld macro flash setup. Where I need help is getting a macro diffuser to go on the lens but the problem is most of them seem to be for lenses of 58 to 67mm filter size lens. The Lowa is very small and skinny, with 46mm filter thread (I don't think I've ever seen that size on an FF lens before), and the diffusers I've found are going to wiggle like crazy being too big.

I know there's Pope Shield and I will probably order one but the delivery time can be up to 10 weeks (from what Widell said) but it fits in my budget. I was looking for alternatives until those would be delivered. Links to the products would help.

I know there are more pre setups but I don't want something that huge on a setup this small.
I had that very same problem Ovi with my Fuji 60mm lens. I resolved it by attaching a 2.5” x 0.5” tab of fluffy Velcro to the bottom of the diffuser, (I stapled it on) and a short strip of the hard Velcro stuck to the base of my camera. The fluffy bit only needs to extend far enough to reach the hard bit! This definitely works very well in stopping the diffuser from rotating, whilst retaining its portability and 'foldability'! I would photograph it for you, but I hurt my back carrying in a 25kg bag of birdseed yesterday, and can hardly move today!

I had that very same problem Ovi with my Fuji 60mm lens. I resolved it by attaching a 2.5” x 0.5” tab of fluffy Velcro to the bottom of the diffuser, (I stapled it on) and a short strip of the hard Velcro stuck to the base of my camera. The fluffy bit only needs to extend far enough to reach the hard bit! This definitely works very well in stopping the diffuser from rotating, whilst retaining its portability and 'foldability'! I would photograph it for you, but I hurt my back carrying in a 25kg bag of birdseed yesterday, and can hardly move today!
Thanks for the advice, please look after yourself and I hope you will get better. Take your time and when you can I would like a picture to get the idea better (unfortunately I'm a visual learner when it comes to the unknown).

I know there are more pro setups but I don't want something that huge on a setup this small.
This is the Velcro I use. I bought it from Amazon.
IMG_1640.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This is how and where I attached the woolly strip, folded double so stuck to both sides of diffuser. Then stapled, for security.
IMG_1641.jpeg

This shows where I stuck the hard loopy strip to the camera base, and where the woolly tab fastens to it. Be careful to avoid covering the tripod bush.
IMG_1642.jpeg

And this is how it all works out. (I used my wife's X-E2 for a model!)

Attachments

• IMG_1643.jpeg
    IMG_1643.jpeg
    459.8 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Back