Leica lens recommendation for M3

aaronz28

Regular
So, i'm thinking of spending some christmas cash on either a killer 35 or 50mm lens for my M3

if you had up to $1000 - what might you consider?

i have the 35 f 3.5 and the 50f 2.0 Leitz lenses - but the 50 needs to go in for service, and i really think i want a "special" lens for shooting film pix of the kids and cars :D

thoughts?

A

What "look" do you like? Spend some time in the image sample forum.

https://www.leicaplace.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39

I'm completely biased, I like a Fast Sonnar. For $1,000- I put my money on the Zeiss C-Sonnar 50/1.5.

You could also get the 35/1.7 Ultron, 50/1.5 Nokton, and 90/4 Elmar all in LTM for about that price. The M3 close-focus is to 0.9m, so the extra 0.7m M-Mount lenses do not couple below 0.9m.

I second the C Sonnar, or even better perhaps Brian can hook you up with a vintage Sonnar.

i was just looking at the Zeiss lenses on eBay today -
thats pretty much what i want - love the look and the sample images with either the 35mm or 50 are stunning -
i could see owning both - but for now, i think i want to start with a 50.

best place to grab one? new/used/vintage - i'd rather not pop for a new one

thanks
A

Vintage. I bought a Ukrainian Jupiter 3 (Sonnar f/1.5 knock-off) and a pair of real Sonnars, one f/1.5 and the other an f/2. All are superb, and with luck very much under your budget.

Vintage. I bought a Ukrainian Jupiter 3 (Sonnar f/1.5 knock-off) and a pair of real Sonnars, one f/1.5 and the other an f/2. All are superb, and with luck very much under your budget.

man - i tell you what -if i could get both a 50 and 35 Zeiss vintage glass for a grand or close to it - i'd be a happy camper :D
might not be realistic though

A very good buy is a CV 50/1.5 Aspherical LTM for $500. Add to it a Canon 35/2 for $400.
Get film with the remaining $100.

I recently bought a nice Type 1 50mm Summilux for less than a grand. I can wholeheartedly recommend putting one of those on the front of your M3.

For that matter, I've seen some used Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f1.1 lenses going for around $800. I really like using my 50/1.1 with the M3's nice big finder.

another great bargain in 35mm is the underrated (in my opinion) Voigtlander Nokton 35mm f1.4. It's tiny, fast, and has a nice classic look.

Aaron-

https://www.leicaplace.com/showthread.php?t=993

I have a vintage 5cm F1.5 Sonnar listed in the classifieds now, this is a custom conversion to Leica Thread Mount.

This is my article showing how to do the conversions:

http://ussrphoto.com/Wiki/Content/files/1570/Zeiss_Sonnar_conversion.pdf

There are very few pre-war Sonnars made into Leica mount, Zeiss made about 50. I've done about 40 over the past 10 years.

The Jupiter-12 is based on the Zeiss Biogon 3.5cm F2.8, often needs to be adjusted for a Leica for best focus. Very few Zeiss lenses were made in Leica mount, but the J-12 is available and fairly inexpensive.If you get one, I can adjust it or guide you in doing it.

Buying new- popflash is where I bought mine,

Online Camera Shopping for Professional Digital Camera & Accessories

For used- keep a watch out on the forums, here, rangefinderforum.com, getdpi.com Buy one from someone that posts on the forums, that actually uses it. For Ebay- I would only buy one from a dealer that offers full money-back and a warranty.

Aaron-

https://www.leicaplace.com/showthread.php?t=993

I have a vintage 5cm F1.5 Sonnar listed in the classifieds now, this is a custom conversion to Leica Thread Mount.

This is my article showing how to do the conversions:

http://ussrphoto.com/Wiki/Content/files/1570/Zeiss_Sonnar_conversion.pdf

There are very few pre-war Sonnars made into Leica mount, Zeiss made about 50. I've done about 40 over the past 10 years.

The Jupiter-12 is based on the Zeiss Biogon 3.5cm F2.8, often needs to be adjusted for a Leica for best focus. Very few Zeiss lenses were made in Leica mount, but the J-12 is available and fairly inexpensive.If you get one, I can adjust it or guide you in doing it.

Buying new- popflash is where I bought mine,

Online Camera Shopping for Professional Digital Camera & Accessories

For used- keep a watch out on the forums, here, rangefinderforum.com, getdpi.com Buy one from someone that posts on the forums, that actually uses it. For Ebay- I would only buy one from a dealer that offers full money-back and a warranty.

Brian i don't think the thread mount works... mine is the M mount and i'm admittedly a novice with some of this stuff.
if yours will work on my M3 - i'buy it today - i want one that is known good/sharp and ready to go on my M3 :D
lemme know
Thanks
Aaron

Aaron- I just paired the lens with a Leica Thread Mount to M-Mount adapter, tested it on the M9 and it's a good one. I will include it on the lens, with front and rear caps.

Brian, do you have or can you get a Jupiter 12 for me and tune it? What would such a beast cost? I think I've got enough 50mm toys, but only have one 35mm (the excellent f/2.5 Summarit).

I will keep an eye open for a J-12. I gave away the Black one that I adjusted, someone sent my a Jupiter-3 that could not be repaired. I offered to buy it for parts, the owner told me to keep it. I sent him the J-12, gift exchange.

> i have the . . . 50f 2.0 Leitz lenses - but the 50 needs to go in for service,

thoughts?

A
Thoughts? Sure. You don't say which 50/2 Leitz you have, but if you don't have one I don't think you could go far wrong choosing a DR Summicron. A clean, unfogged one might be hard to find, but they didn't earn their reputation for nothing.

That's my $0.02. YMMV.

Keep us informed of your choice.

Ed B.

Back