Micro 4/3 Lens recommendations, please

I lost my camera and lenses in Africa when we couldn't get back because of the pandemic. A short trip turned into a permanent move. I'm looking to replace the lost camera with an Olympus OMD EM10 Mark II. Most of the cameras I'm looking at come with no lens or the stock 12-42mm lens that I'm not enamored with. What are your recommendations for budget/starter options for the following?

1. Prime lens for everyday shooting indoors and out
2. Zoom - probably outdoor for birds or wildlife
Prime - the 17/2.8 Oly. Small and compact, fast enough and cheap. A very distinctive look as well.

Thank you all for your input. I got the Olympus OM-D E-M10 II. It came with the 14-42 lens. I got the Oly 40-150mm f/4-5.6 R lens. Still looking at prime lenses, but I'm in business. I appreciate everyone who took the time to share your experience. You all are great!

Thank you all for your input. I got the Olympus OM-D E-M10 II. It came with the 14-42 lens. I got the Oly 40-150mm f/4-5.6 R lens. Still looking at prime lenses, but I'm in business. I appreciate everyone who took the time to share your experience. You all are great!
The 40-150 is surprisingly good given that it costs and weighs very little. I've shot a lot of my favorite images at Disney's Animal Kingdom with that lens.

There are a lot of options, but just to be clear.

I started with an E-PM1 and 14-42 kit lens, so the same lens and a less capable 12mp body. I got the combo for a road trip my wife were planning and didn't want to take my big/heavy Nikon FX kit. Here's a collection from that trip:

The kit is a good place to start and you really only need to add based on needs / wants / GAS.

Last edited:
Back