Lessons from Cinema

ReD

Hall of Famer
Just caught the final stages of a film on Film 4 (Sky) UK tv

A Useful Life - Frederico Veiroj 2010 Uruguyan Spanish Subtitles Black & White

An essay in how to compose - just wonderful

why these don't get top slot prime view beggars belief

Good cinematography can indeed be a marvel. Hitchcock's cinematographer on strangers on a train and nbnw give us all fantastic lessons in how to assemble a scene. John boorman in his earlier work too.

Yes I admit I'm now more aware & appreciative than I was a year ago. Hopefully that won't ruin a good film for me & I'll be able to absorb content & imagery equally

My Dad was always watching westerns when I was growing up. Of course, the TV was 4:3 format and none of the films were ever shown in their original aspect ratio. They were completely butchered. The first time I saw "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly" in all it's ultrawide glory, my mind nearly split open. Tonino Delli Colli, I tip my cap to you.
<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/ubVc2MQwMkg?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/ubVc2MQwMkg?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Diving deeper into photography (relative to a casual shooter) has made me see movies differently. I can certainly appreciate the visuals more now, and not just focus on the story. I watch very little movies these days, but at the top of my head the movie "Amour" comes to mind. The visuals of that film were really strong, and I am actually thinking of "copying" some shots as a learning tool. They're mostly common things - a room with a window, a hallway, etc. but I've never seen an empty room tell a story quite like in that movie.

I like Emmanuel Lubezki's work, especially in Children of Men. He was also the cinematographer for Gravity, though it doesn't come anywhere close to CoM. There are just so many different ways to shoot space.

children_of_men_baby_dillon.png

I think there's to be a mini series of Kuorokawa (think that's his name) Films on next week - Seven Samurai etc

I think there's to be a mini series of Kuorsawa (think that's his name) Films on next week - Seven Samurai etc

Back