Fuji Lessons learned, Fuji XP-90 and a rant from the cranky old elf

Jock Elliott

Hall of Famer
This is my favorite time of year. I love coming around a corner in the dark to find a house lit with warmth and loveliness. Lately, I've felt an internal prompting to try to capture that beauty.

So when the better half (aka spotter-in-chief) proposed, yesterday evening, a stroll around the neighborhood to view the Christmas lights, I said "Sure," and grabbed the trusted Canon G12. But as we stepped out the door, it started to rain, so I swapped the G12 for the Fuji XP-90.

I learned with the XP-90 that the best way to deal with it is to put it in full auto mode. There is little you can do to control it anyway.

Bottom line, with the exception of a couple of very marginal frames, everything I shot was crap . . . problems with flare, shake, blown highlights, mysterious apparitions:

XP9 Christmas lights 006.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
XP9 Christmas lights 020.JPG

Obviously, this is not the camera for low-light conditions. And neither is it the camera for bright sunny conditions, because it is all too easy to find yourself unable to compose the shot because sunlight has rendered by back screen unusable.

On occasion, it will deliver results that serve the purpose:

XP90 Peebles and outdoor 001.JPG
XP90 Peebles and outdoor 003.JPG

So here's what the camera industry needs to produce: a bullet proof (waterproof, etc.) pocketable (even a large pocket) camera that is decent in low light and has an actual viewfinder so that it can be used in the blinding glare of the sun. I bet pros would snap them up, as well as anybody who wants to shoot photos and not put their "good" cameras at risk. I think something like a weatherized G12 with its tunnel optical viewfinder would serve.

Cheers, Jock

A few compact cameras exist that will do what you want. But ruggedness and/or weather sealing need to be added.

Cameras with one-inch sensors like the newer Sony RX100's. Or maybe even a Canon G5X or G1X. That last camera even has weather sealing and it's about the size of your old G12:

The G1X has a 24-72mm zoom range and a lens with a maximum aperture of f/2.8-5.6. But it also has a 24mp APS-C sensor so you can crop quite a bit and even get decent results at high ISO's. Still, it's not what one would call inexpensive.

Alas, I don't think the camera companies have any interest in something like the old Canon G series that went up to the G16 in 2014. EconomIc realities being what they are, unless you can prove they'd sell a million of them in a year, such a camera would be too niche.

Back