Let me introduce myself...

lightcapture

Regular
Name
Mike
I've been an 'on and off' photo hobbiest since the 1980s. I'm hoping to find a home here with like minded photogs.
I love looking at the works of the masters of old and do enjoy shooting, especially B/W.

It seems like many forums are heavy on bird photography using big lenses and fast cameras, and though I appreciate an occasional bird photo I often find myself out of place.
I process using free photo editing programs, therefore I'm limited to rudimentary processing.
An occasional ' photo challenge' it gives motivation to keep shooting and find creativity within a restricted assignment.
Lastly, I occasionally post what I think is a photo with merit on Flickr as my gallery. but have no delusions of greatness and definitely nothing timeless like the great ones.

Hoping to find inspiration here. Thanks for letting me be part of your group.

Respectfully,
Mike

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

What software are you using? I'm a longtime user of Lightroom and Photoshop, but have been using ART and GIMP for the last year. Picked up some tricks for ART- such as using the Camera profiles from Lightroom with it, filled in some that were missing. There are some very powerful free image processing packages available. Feel free to discuss any of them here.

Welcome to the forum.

What software are you using? I'm a longtime user of Lightroom and Photoshop, but have been using ART and GIMP for the last year. Picked up some tricks for ART- such as using the Camera profiles from Lightroom with it, filled in some that were missing. There are some very powerful free image processing packages available. Feel free to discuss any of them here.
I have a mixed bag of free stuff. I use Mac's Photos editing program in general. And I use Googles Silver Efex for B&W conversions.
I also have Nikon's NX Studio but only use it for special photos. It's nice quality and includes their lens distortion correction, but overall it takes some time to edit a photo.
I have GIMP but find it really confusing so seldom use it.
So that's my mess.

I don't know anything about ART. If it's free I'll try it.

Another Raw Therapee: this is like Lightroom. Takes a bit of getting used to- I use it mainly to look at a directory of my DNG or NEF images and convert to smaller JPEGs. This can be done in a few minutes once you get the sequence of commands correct. I will not go to Adobe Cloud, stopped at Lightroom 6 and Photoshop CS2. I bought a Nikon Z5 a year ago, and needed something that supported it. ART has the camera profile in it. Later- I found that it and Lightroom use the same file format for camera profiles.

Another Raw Therapee: this is like Lightroom. Takes a bit of getting used to- I use it mainly to look at a directory of my DNG or NEF images and convert to smaller JPEGs. This can be done in a few minutes once you get the sequence of commands correct. I will not go to Adobe Cloud, stopped at Lightroom 6 and Photoshop CS2. I bought a Nikon Z5 a year ago, and needed something that supported it. ART has the camera profile in it. Later- I found that it and Lightroom use the same file format for camera profiles.
Now I'm getting confused. I'm looking for a free program I can download to my iMac that doesn't use the cloud or require a subscription. That's why I use Photos, but it's pretty basic, though easy to use.

I use Windows- but noted that ART has some builds for Apple products. It is free, and can be downloaded. It does not require any connections to the cloud after it is installed, and processes all files locally on your computer.

Welcome Mike! I'm a strictly color shooter myself but do appreciate B&W when shot by others. Looking forward to seeing some of your shots if you care to share! We have some ongoing challenges and one or two that need kickstarting. Also we tend not to be too much about 'my lens is bigger than yours' here :)

I use Windows- but noted that ART has some builds for Apple products. It is free, and can be downloaded. It does not require any connections to the cloud after it is installed, and processes all files locally on your computer.
I looked online and can not find the ART photo editing program. Do you have the official name of site. I'm looking for a free download for mac. Thanks Brian.

Back