Let's catch a bus

Auckland hop on hop off bus.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I don't know if you remember Green Line buses from the 70s/ early 80s but if you do, your image certainly brings that to mind.
I certainly remember a lot further back than the 70s Ray, but all the Manchester Corporation buses were red, and the Salford Corporation ones were green. All double deckers then of course! Also the Ribble buses, mostly ivory. Green Line buses I haven't heard of, but I'm glad to have prodded your memory a bit!

I certainly remember a lot further back than the 70s Ray, but all the Manchester Corporation buses were red, and the Salford Corporation ones were green. All double deckers then of course! Also the Ribble buses, mostly ivory. Green Line buses I haven't heard of, but I'm glad to have prodded your memory a bit!
I was a bit of a Manchester bus nerd when I was 11 or 12. My dad was a driver then conductor before he had to retire after an accident, and I used to get tours of the bus depot. I think they changed over from MCT to the stupidly named SELNEC around then. At least that was short lived, but the red buses also faded out along with the rear open platforms, sadly.

I've been wondering the same, we haven't heard from Barrie since March.
I just did a bit of googling, and I think I've turned up some bad news. I figured there couldn't be many people called Barrie living in a little village like East Charleton, and I've found a tribute in the Totnes Times to a local man who died in the summer - "a first-class birdwatcher and naturalist for many years ... he was an accomplished photographer and used this skill to record what he found"

Sadly, I think that's our man. I'd like to be wrong, but even the little picture of a grebe in the paper is the same one Barrie used as his profile picture here.

Tributes paid to ornithologist Barrie Whitehall | totnes-today.co.uk

So here's to Barrie, who I never met, but who liked taking pictures of old buses and birds in a part of the world I know well. I think he would have liked this thread.

-R

I just did a bit of googling, and I think I've turned up some bad news. I figured there couldn't be many people called Barrie living in a little village like East Charleton, and I've found a tribute in the Totnes Times to a local man who died in the summer - "a first-class birdwatcher and naturalist for many years ... he was an accomplished photographer and used this skill to record what he found"

Sadly, I think that's our man. I'd like to be wrong, but even the little picture of a grebe in the paper is the same one Barrie used as his profile picture here.

Tributes paid to ornithologist Barrie Whitehall | totnes-today.co.uk

So here's to Barrie, who I never met, but who liked taking pictures of old buses and birds in a part of the world I know well. I think he would have liked this thread.

-R
Oh dear, that is sad news. I sometimes think of Barrie when I see a tractor (which is quite often). We are a poorer place without him.

Many thanks for that bit of research Richard. I too had been wondering if he was OK.
This bit "he admired the photographic work of James Ravilious" is familiar. He many times mentioned James Ravillious in his posts. There was some good laughs seeing who could get the most tractors in some of the 'Single ins'. Sad news indeed.

2023-01-22_08-28-07.jpg

Djenné departure

A bus being prepared for a night drive out of Djenné, Mali. I can't remember what the destination was; given the sunset departure, it's probably a long drive, so possibly Bamako, the capital, or Timbouktou or Gao, both at the edge of the desert. The building in the background is the Great Mosque of Djenné, the largest mud building in the world.

Back