Fuji Let's revive the old manual lenses!

fujidanny

Regular
Hello!

The new mirrorless cameras give us the opportunity to bring old lenses back in use :dance3:
So I want to ask you, which one would you prefer and why:

(1) Nikon AI(S) 80-200, f4,0 MF :confused: or
(2) Tokina RMC 80-200mm, f4,0, MF :confused: or
(3) Tokina RMC 70-210mm, f4,0, MF :confused: or
(4) Tokina RMC 70-210mm, f4,0-5,6 SD for AIs MF (N003431) :confused: or
(5) Tamron Zoom Macro 85-210mm, f4,5 for Nikon AI :confused:???
They all are manual focussing lenses with a physical aperture ring.

But there are 2 more with AF:
(6) Nikon AF 80-200, f4,0 :confused: or
(7) Tokina RMC 50-250mm, f4,0-5,6 AT-X :confused:???
They have moreless good reputation, are in a similar price range (<100$ in Germany).

I wouldn't mind manual focussing with adapter on my X-E1, but
perhaps AF functions on my D80 or D200 as well :D .

So: it's really difficult for me to decide :confused::confused::confused: :dash2: !

Thanks a lot to the experts :hail: and joyful writing :Dexter:!

All the best!

Fujidanny

Are you planning to use a tripod with those lenses? With the sensor crop it will be difficult to use the focus assist magnification in the EVF/LCD while hand-holding longer zooms.

Of all the ones above I would pick number 1. It has a fixed max aperture and is made by Nikon, which assumes it is of higher quality than the Tamron or Tokinas of days past.

Also it is highly likely that the majority of Fuji XE/XP camera users are more of the traditional, non-zoom crowd. If by design or chance, Fuji released camera bodies with external controls and 3 prime lenses, followed up with a zoom then another prime. There is nothing wrong with zoom lenses, but a person that is drawn to the overall design of the XE/XP may be more inclined to take an old-fashioned approach to gear selection when it comes to the Fujis. Many people have a higher-tech setup (a DSLR or M43) body with a mix of high-end zooms and primes as well as an XE/XP - but the XE/XP gear they get harkens back to a time long ago where you set everything manual and went out and shot.

This traditional photo gear mindset along with the difficulty of focusing a longer MF lens in the Fujis may explain why you haven't had any replies....many folks just haven't tried to do it.

Also it is highly likely that the majority of Fuji XE/XP camera users are more of the traditional, non-zoom crowd.

Same here, all my lenses are fixed prime lenses, even my legacy OM lenses. But I am curious if legacy zoom lenses work well (?) with the X cameras?

^+1 I'm sure some do, but I wouldn't even consider adapting zoom lenses to the X-Series cameras if for no other reason the size of the lenses plus adapters would negate one of the main advantages of the Fuji system - the small size. Smaller, fast primes are more my speed. They balance well on the mirrorless cameras and the medium FOV equivalents are still usable with magnification. In my opinion, longer lenses would require IBIS that also stabilized the view in the EVF, like the OM-D E-M5 offers.

One of the reasons I am jonesing so hard for an XE-1 is that I can use my old Rokkor glass on it. Does anyone happen to know the conversion / crop factor? As in, if I had an XE-1 and I put a 55mm Rokkor lens on it, what would the 35mm equivalent view angle be? Longer than 55, right? And by how much...?

approx multiplier is 1.5, so 55 would be 82.5.

You are essentially taking the center portion of the lens created image and cropping the outside areas. This is good if you have a lens with poor edge performance - those edges are gone.

Down sides to adapting a lens is the flange distance has to be exact if you want to retain MFD and/or infinity focus. If the adaptor is too thin, your MFD is pushed forward...too thick, you lose infinity. Sometimes you get lucky and your adaptor is perfect, but I've yet to get lucky.

Sometimes you get lucky and your adaptor is perfect, but I've yet to get lucky.

Or you can pay a lot of money for the Novoflex or Rayqual adapters to get that perfect infinity focus, although I don't find it worth the cost - especially if you're planning on focusing using the EVF. It seems to me it only matters if you want to use the lens markings to set focus.

Thank you all for so much input!
The reason for me to think about using those old zooms is, that they are good well built (therefore a bit heavy) lenses, especially the Nikon & Tokina 4,0 80-200. The Tokina SZ-X is a very short (3,6") and relatively light (420g) zoom. This one would be a lighter alternative to the upcoming 55-200 but costs me only about 70$.
Sure, fix 200mm is an alternative, but mostly not lighter, shorter and cheaper.
Since i have allready an Elmarit 90mm its worth thinking about.
I am interested in a range of 300(1,5*200)mm. But also know, it's not easy focussing with those focal length.
So, perhaps better saving money and waiting for the Fuji zoom...,
:th_salute: Fujidanny

I'm definitely going to get the Fuji zoom, but there's plenty of prime 200mm lenses that are just fine hand-held. Many 200mm+ old SLR lenses have tripod/monopod collars which work great too w/out stabilization.

I'm definitely going to get the Fuji zoom, but there's plenty of prime 200mm lenses that are just fine hand-held. Many 200mm+ old SLR lenses have tripod/monopod collars which work great too w/out stabilization.

Yes, I have my eye on an OM 200mm/f4 lens on eBay right now!

I used the Tokina RMC 80-200 F4.0 many years ago on OM 1, and thought it was pretty good. I have bought 2 lately for use on mirrorless, and neither was worth walking across the road for, unless you don't have any lens at all. Sorry. One I disassembled and now sometimes use the front element, for close-up adapter. The other (Pentax mount), sits in the camera cabinet. Not worth trying to sell.

Back