Fuji Let's start talking about the X-Pro 3

KillRamsey

Hall of Famer
Name
Kyle

It's not out yet so plenty of specs remain to be seen, but...

- "Hidden" LCD
- Partly titanium construction

...seem to be the big surprises so far.

I am finding myself to be a massive, colossal fan of that LCD design, at least on paper. I would LOVE to have mine hidden until I needed it, and also LOVE that it can swing out to shoot at waist level.

At least you can now shoot waist level. It's a bit odd, but I guess it doesn't matter which way it flips and this way does protect the LCD. I did notice they couldn't resist showing a film box end on that little screen.

Last edited:
Fuji's current trend of removing programmable function buttons doesn't work well for me. :(

Not 100% sure on the flippy screen yet, but I can see some benefits to the design.

You can use it as a tilting screen for waist level shooting just like the regular tilt screens, but this one can also protect the screen like the flippy variety. The tiny screen is just an interesting use of space to put one of those little settings screen in there. With the lcd inwards, it’s good to have the little one to check settings. It’s handy on the XH1. As odd as it seems, I think it’s just as effective as the regular tilt screen but hides it as a default. I could see me getting used to this.

You can use it as a tilting screen for waist level shooting just like the regular tilt screens, but this one can also protect the screen like the flippy variety. The tiny screen is just an interesting use of space to put one of those little settings screen in there. With the lcd inwards, it’s good to have the little one to check settings. It’s handy on the XH1. As odd as it seems, I think it’s just as effective as the regular tilt screen but hides it as a default. I could see me getting used to this.
Ah I see, if you use it then it has to be for a specific purpose, not just to use the back screen instinctively as a viewfinder. Yep, that is a good thing.

Ah I see, if you use it then it has to be for a specific purpose, not just to use the back screen instinctively as a viewfinder. Yep, that is a good thing.
For folks that like traditional cameras, this could be a best of both worlds. I originally thought it was weird, but it seems better the more I think about it. I think the proof of this pudding may be in the eating, however. I suspect someone on this forum will buy it. :rofl:

After taking some more time to look at images, watch the videos, think about ...

I'd have to see the viewfinder. If it is better (brighter, larger, higher eyepoint) for my eyes, it could be a possibility.

Seeing how I use and personally prefer d-pads over touchscreens and joysticks, I'd have to see the final product and see how easy it would be to assign functions I currently have on the d-pad to other controls/ Q menu, etc...

LCD doesn't seem to bother me as much as I originally thought. Waist-level shooting can be more stable at times. It would allow easier shooting from low angles. If I can setup everything to minimize menu-diving, I could be OK with it.

Battery life might be even better with the LCD off and stowed.

I’ve used Fuji joysticks and I’m a big fan. They are really fast when you get used to them. Touch screens aren’t much use when they are facing inwards so the joystick will be the major focus point picker at EVF height. OTOH, in waist shooting mode a touch screen would work nicely.

This could work just fine. If so, it would be a nice addition to the XPro series.

I love it. I don't chimp, so this is ideal for me. It reminds me of the Epson RD1. I dislike flippy screens with a passion and have been known to tape them down, but I can see myself just not flipping 99% of the time.

Three thoughts...

1. I wonder what (positive) impact this will have on battery consumption figures.

2. One of the little pleasures of life for a perigrinating photographer is to rest our weary feet for a moment or two in a pavement café... Watching the world go by with a fragrant doppio and taking a moment to review our "catch" up to that point.

I'm rather hoping the phone integration is improved for just that purpose.

3. By the same token, the screen must also be fit for purpose both in quality and ergonomics to facilitate in camera raw development. I'm confident they have thought of that.

I have somewhat less disposable cash these days and "frivolous" purchases are currently out of my reach but I might seriously consider selling my first born for this camera...

I use the back screen sometimes when I shift the camera above or below my head. I wonder if the mechanism allows for the former? Can it tilt 180 degrees or so? Ideally it'd tilt about 200 degrees for best visibility.

Image review is best done with the EVF in any case, best lighting and probably best color.

Even if this design left the X_Pro3 in a specialized status, that's what Fuji does. They imply, "we've got bodies for every user, select one and if you're not satisfied with any, pick two". I've always found the case that it's impossible to select a Fujifilm body that does everything that I want. I'm always left needing features from an X-Pro and from an X-T body.

It looks nice, really nice. I really like the digital film box "Stubs". Too cool.
For me the big question will be size. Hopefully the "3" has lost a bit of "girth" compared to the "2".
Hmmmm, I was thinking about sell the "CL". . . . . . .
. . . David

Back