Fuji Let's start talking about the X-Pro 3

I applaud the design even though I'm not fond of the xpro series for aesthetic reasons.

Fuji, I must say, does very clever things to differentiate, as you can see they added a second screen but instead of making it "more", it feels "less", in a good way.

Man, Fuji keeps doing things to tempt me into their system! I really like the combo of the hybrid finder plus the flip-out LCD; I even like that it’s normally flipped in. It’s the lack of a tilting or articulating touch screen that has so far kept me from buying an X-E3, although I’ve nearly succumbed a couple of times already.

I may have to lash myself to the mast to keep from buying one of these until they hit the used market!

I don't have anything against the tilt-down LCD, it makes some sense. The placement of the small LCD isn't perfect though, in my opinion (top mount seems the most practical for glancing at your camera, especially in a body with direct control inputs) and seems to be done strictly for nostalgia. The "film simulation box end" display is complete nonsense. Fuji should be embarrassed. Who needs an LCD blasting your film simulation back at you? C'mon.

I don't have anything against the tilt-down LCD, it makes some sense. The placement of the small LCD isn't perfect though, in my opinion (top mount seems the most practical for glancing at your camera, especially in a body with direct control inputs) and seems to be done strictly for nostalgia. The "film simulation box end" display is complete nonsense. Fuji should be embarrassed. Who needs an LCD blasting your film simulation back at you? C'mon.

Hahaa, I have completely opposite opinion 😂

IMHO film simulation display gives just right amount nostalgia and different approach, not so serious to photography. Combined with tilt-down LCD and hybrid finder I can see myself reaching out to this camera.

"They don't purchase based on what they need. They purchase based on what the don't want to not have."
This speaks volumes about the majority of photographers today. xxxx, and xx brand have this, why doesn't fuji have this?

He very well articulates exactly what Fuji, and especially the X-Pro line are all about.

If it will show the custom name I gave my film simulation - then I will appreciate it a ton.

My point is just that I have never needed to have a constant display of my film simulation. Especially since modern cameras give you the freedom to shoot RAW and convert to any JPEG style after the fact.

All in all the camera looks nice, I've always felt the X-Pro cameras were the most appealing Fuji's, but they're certainly still catering to the hipsters who (re)built Fuji.

Once they put that screen on the rear panel it was inevitable that they would put a way to show the “film” since it was so reminiscent of the film days. Especially inevitable since Fuji is so into the film simulations. They clearly wanted it, however, since it looks to be a color lcd and they could have gone with monochrome for data. Personally I would show the information but I admit I am amused by the whole thing.

I still remember almost 10 years ago, a buddy of mine told me about the first X100 and the GAS he was developing for it. I took one look at it and understood immediately why that GAS was brewing in him, and I also guessed that Fujifilm had quite cleverly tapped into the retro vibe that people were tuning into.

The latest Xpro3 is continuing with the commitment to retro design.

I still remember almost 10 years ago, a buddy of mine told me about the first X100 and the GAS he was developing for it. I took one look at it and understood immediately why that GAS was brewing in him, and I also guessed that Fujifilm had quite cleverly tapped into the retro vibe that people were tuning into.

The latest Xpro3 is continuing with the commitment to retro design.
Olympus played this well for a long time as well. There's another thread about the complexity of modern cameras. I think that can be a big concern that Fuji addresses. I know that I turn most of my assignable buttons off. I simply don't use most of those function enough to remember what I assigned to what button. :shakehead:

Olympus played this well for a long time as well. There's another thread about the complexity of modern cameras. I think that can be a big concern that Fuji addresses. I know that I turn most of my assignable buttons off. I simply don't use most of those function enough to remember what I assigned to what button. :shakehead:
The I/II lever is probably my least used control on my E-M1.2. Back when I had the E-M1.1 and E-M5.2 I couldn't even really think of something to set them to from the limited options at the time.

I agree with the idea of wishing for a simplified camera, with my Nikons I used mainly M with auto ISO and exposure comp. I'd also switch metering modes, AF modes (rarely), and some of the flash/commander settings; but that was about it. I never even bothered with setting up shooting banks or the my menus.

Back